• 3 Post By CharSiuNow
  • 2 Post By Miaofromcali
  • 1 Post By Flapster
  • 1 Post By Franck:)

Best time to get a job in hong kong

Closed Thread

Question Best time to get a job in hong kong

Hi,

I have moved to hong kong in dependency visa on November and looking for a job.

I have 3 years of experience in finacial support and business analysis in a top money exchange MNC.

Is it a best time in hong kong to look for a job? Though I am available to join immediately, I am not getting much interview calls. I am using LinkedIn and jobs db to search openings.

Can any one suggest please....

I was in a similar position as you a couple of years ago. It takes time without the language. I also found recruiters and linkedin useless.

It took me 5 months to land a job, which was about 60% of the salary I was on in the UK.

In HK, it's all about contacts. Try to meet people, go for coffees, go to events, and meetups.

Quote Originally Posted by Flapster:
    Try to meet people, go for coffees, go to events, and meetups.
    This is a good advice in any country, in any business, if you try to find a job where they don't know you and you don't know the language (or you speak a second language, etc).

Try to connect to people, any way you can. You may be great at what you do, but employers don't know that. Once people know you or have seen you face-to-face, it is much easier to follow up and find a job. It will still take considerable time though (I've done this game multiple times).

Having said that, my understanding is that the financial sector in HK moves more and more to mainland/Mandarin speaking people, but others can comment on that.

Noted both points above and thanks

Also is it a right time for recruitments, is there any chance that hirings will be postponeneded to after chinese new year

Best time to look for a job is now. Your first job here might be lower pay since you will be a local hire but you can slowly network your way up. I have never been a fan of online applications, I never gotten a job where I ended up working for from online. Even my cafeteria cashier job in Uni was from a friend’s referral.

HK526267819 and biffski like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK526267819:
    Noted both points above and thanks

Also is it a right time for recruitments, is there any chance that hirings will be postponeneded to after chinese new year
    Often they are postponed, but not always. No harm in looking now anyway.
    HK526267819 likes this.

You might have already tried this site but it worth mentioning it: for financial jobs I am always searching on efinancial careers, whether I am searching for a job or I am recruiting DB Job has not been very useful to me.

HK526267819 likes this.