Like Tree41Likes

Subway franchisee adverts recently, are they still profitable ?!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The second part of this video deals with local food culture and preferences:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FGUkxn5kZQ

Quote Originally Posted by Ebi the shrimp:
    Hong Kongers don't want to choose.
    You speak for 7 million Hong Kongers? I think not.

Oliver's Super Sandwiches used to be 'build your own sandwiches' but they changed their business model, possibly due to customer preferences.
    You got burned by Subway right? You don't happen to be an ex-franchisee by any chance?
    Last edited by Coolboy; 09-12-2020 at 08:58 PM.

So, you want to choose the bread and then choose the fillings and then choose the condiments. Why do you need to choose all the time? Fussy Americans want to be picky with their food.

Remember Olivers sandwiches from about 20 years ago?!?

Ask yourself, how many times you have been to Subway in the last 10 years....

Now ask yourself how many times you have been to Maccy D's in the past year...

Last edited by ArrynField; 09-12-2020 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Tough when you have franchise fees, variable rents AND fixed sale prices.
    Franchise fees...pfff! do like they do up north

Name:  Screenshot_20201209_221749.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  53.2 KB
    shri and Coolboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    Ask yourself, how many times you have been to Subway in the last 10 years....

Now ask yourself how many times you have been to Maccy D's in the past year...
    Since moving to HK I order from Subway at least once a week - it's a flavor memory that reminds me of my childhood / US. On the other hand, I can count on one hand how many times I've eaten there as an adult in the US prior to moving to HK.

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    Franchise fees...do like they do up north

Name:  Screenshot_20201209_221749.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  53.2 KB
    That's awesome. Having eaten at Subways in Beijing and Guangzhou, I'm sure a rip off would probably be better than the original. The QC up north definitely ain't what it's like elsewhere.
    alexdown and Coolboy like this.

I don't know about hongkongers preferences, but I am with you on this unnecessary trend of customers wanting to customise everything.

It's like the omakase concept...just trust the chef. You went to a restaurant because you think someone else can do better than you...so no point in insisting to "customise" your order...

..of course this imho

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    I don't know about hongkongers preferences, but I am with you on this unnecessary trend of customers wanting to customise everything.

It's like the omakase concept...just trust the chef. You went to a restaurant because you think someone else can do better than you...so no point in insisting to "customise" your order...

..of course this imho
    I trust David Chang, Eric Ripert, David Kinch, Thomas Keller, etc and will gladly eat anything they put in front of me in its purest original form. I don't trust a mass market outfit that develops recipes / sandwiches based on consumer preference surveys, trend analysis, random-blind taste tests, and cost to propensity to purchase ratios.

Quote Originally Posted by tf19:
    I trust David Chang, Eric Ripert, David Kinch, Thomas Keller, etc and will gladly eat anything they put in front of me in its purest original form. I don't trust a mass market outfit that develops recipes / sandwiches based on consumer preference surveys, trend analysis, random-blind taste tests, and cost to propensity to purchase ratios.
    Lol of course I wasn't referring to Subway!!