Like Tree19Likes

Opening a takeaway shop in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Talking Opening a takeaway shop in HK

Hi all,

I am currently working as a chef in Hong Kong with a sponsorship visa.

I plan to stay in Hong Kong long term and would like to set up my own takeaway shop in new territories serving western food.

I need some advice and direction of you can help please.

Does a foreigner need a special visa if they want to open up their own business in Hong Kong and reside/work here.

Is it possible for foreigner to get grants or loans to help with investment in the business?

Visa - Technically you can start a business and get a visa along with a plan to hire x locals / grow your business etc etc. Not sure how difficult it is these days. There are others who are more current and I'm sure they'll reply.

Loans - Possible from banks, depends on how you incorporate etc. Saying possible but in reality its difficult. Not sure if the govt SME guarantee covers really small and new businesses. Look up more here;

https://www.smefund.tid.gov.hk/engli...objective.html

Quote Originally Posted by Maz1989:
    Is it possible for foreigner to get grants or loans to help with investment in the business?
    Maybe, but for in F&B in HK in 2021, it would be a very tall ask.

"The best way to make a small fortune out of F&B in HK is to start with a large one"
    aw451, shri, huja and 2 others like this.

To sponsor your own investment visa you need to create the company, loan it 500k of your personal money and come up with the business plan and documents @shri mentioned.

You have to be able to demonstrate that there is a demand for the goods or services that you provide which is not being fulfilled at the moment. Also that you will grow the business and create jobs for local people. (Main point is to convince Immd that your investment has a chance of making a substantial contribution towards the HK economy). You also have to demonstrate that your skills are sufficient to make this business work through either awards, recognition of your work etc.

Processing time is a few months.

Good luck.....How much money do you have to burn?

Think carefully of your costs. Do a feasibility study (take out vs dine in....remember alcohol makes money)...2-3 years lease of a shop (3-6 months deposit), food license, fit out costs, staffing etc. Get some partners to join you...reduce your risks...

Have a look at this article:-

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ongs-small-and

Last edited by ArrynField; 15-12-2020 at 11:45 PM.

I only want to do a takeaway shop, not dine in.

It's a good concept and unique to the area. The location I'm interested in is a food court next to a busy bus station with many other take away shops. But no western food there.

Getting the initial investment and start up/beginning running costs is the only real issue

Assuming you do well, the Landlord will be waiting to increase the rent. Hence try and negotiate a longer lease or an option to renew, say 3 plus 3 with say a 10% increase.

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-china-blog-35259633

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    Assuming you do well, the Landlord will be waiting to increase the rent. Hence try and negotiate a longer lease or an option to renew, say 3 plus 3 with say a 10% increase.

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-china-blog-35259633
    Insisting on a longer lease while opening a brand new store, as a foreigner, in a business with an astronomically high failure rate, during a pandemic . . . seems like a bad idea.
    GentleGeorge, Skyhook, jgl and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    Do a feasibility study (take out vs dine in....remember alcohol makes money)...
    Interested about this point.

In the West, horribly inflated booze prices in restaurants contribute around 50% of revenue often. But over here, say in the dim sum parlours, cha can tengs etc., alcohol is either essentially at cost or not even on the menu. Is it a big revenue driver in HK?

Only in a western bar-restaurant. High end restaurants wouldn't even have high revenue on wine/alcohol

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast