Like Tree8Likes

Starting a sole proprietorship on GEP visa and hire a employee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

As an a side

My Mrs (PR) has just had a visa transfer approved for an expat staff that she employed. She has split her partnership (not formal legal partnership, but contractual arrangement) from an established limited co. and used her sole-pro entity to re-employee the one staff she has.

The sol pro was not the main trading entity for her business (the vast majority of the modest revenue went through the partnership business that employed her 1 staff) and thus the sole pro, whilst 4 yrs old, has a very very small trading footprint - doesn't even have a business bank account.

So great that we've been able to get immigration to play ball. (I spent a lot of time carefully building the case to present to them).

Quote Originally Posted by fullmetaljacket:
    Were you able to get more info on this 'add-on' route? A friend is in a similar situation. Thanks.
    So basically what the immigration department told me is that you need approval from the Director of Immigration in order to take up another job or set up a side business. To obtain this, you would need to bring the below documents in person to the Extension Section at 5th Floor, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai.

- Fill in Application form ID91
    - Approval letter to start a side business from your current employer, with the company stamp
    - Passport
    - Current employment visa
    - HKID

In addition, they said the below.

"In general, if you wish to set up your business in Hong Kong, you will have to produce relevant documentary proofs specified in ID(E) 1000 (Page 10 of Guidebook for Entry for Investment as Entrepreneurs in Hong Kong. You are advised to submit the documents in hand for the case officer's consideration."

I have reached out the immigration department again about the ID91 form, not sure if I should apply for an extension of 'employment under the General Employment Policy' or tick the box for 'investment under the General Employment Policy'. However, they reply very slow due to the current situation..
    fullmetaljacket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdanielcc:
    - Approval letter to start a side business from your current employer, with the company stamp
    - Passport
    - HKID
    @ccdanielcc Any update? Does anyone else have any more info on this?

I'm in a similar situation - full-time employee on GEP visa, looking to start side business (freelance).

I've read elsewhere that it's also recommended (necessary?) to set up a sole proprietorship to ensure tax is paid on income from the side business. Is this correct? Even if not necessary, I would like to do this, as potential clients have indicated a preference for doing business with a registered company (even sole prop).
    Does anyone have pointers on this (or pointers to where to get advice?).
    Does this need to be set up before or after the approval from Immigration?
    Will I need legal help to set up such a business?

Thanks!
    rkenia852 likes this.

Yeah, this 100% worked out well for me. They asked me to add additional documents to proof that I have the funds to start the business as well, so to speed up the process you could add a bank statement as well.

When it comes to tax, if you do this online there will be extra tabs related to your company when you are submitting your personal tax.

The process to 'adjust' your visa to legally be able to work in your side business is rather simple ones you know what to do:
    - Register your business, that can easily be done online in 10 minutes for a sole proprietorship through the government website (https://www.gov.hk/en/business/regis...pany/index.htm). A few days after the registration you will receive a business registration form (proof that you are the owner of the company).

You have to make an application in person. Bring the below:
    - Business registration form (Forgot to mention above, a copy will do)
    - Proof that you have the funds to start the company (might ask for it)
    - Approval letter to start a side business from your current employer, with the company stamp!
    - Passport
    - HKID

Bring all your documents in person to the Extension Section at 5th Floor, Immigration Tower, 7 Gloucester Road, Wan Chai in order to apply for the visa adjustment. The process can take several weeks to months!

shri, grammer-nazi and hullexile like this.

Hey, which section did you tick for the ID91 form? I have the same confusion as its kinda unclear on the form, but also trying to just seek approval for a sole proprietorship. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2