View Poll Results: What currency do you use as your default or use exclusively?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • USD (American Dollars)

6 66.67%
  • GBP (Great Britain Pounds)

0 0%
  • I use more than one with a syncing/fixed currency converter

2 22.22%
  • Other single currency

1 11.11%

E-Commerce Survey: What currency do you use as your default (or exclusively)?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It's not a simple question - if you offer prices in more than one currency, where are you going to get the exchange rates from? For significant purchases I'm going to look at what I think I would end up getting billed in the home currency of my credit card (HK$) and chose the currency accordingly. Having said that, I haven't come across many online sites where I can chose the currency of purchase. Generally it is what it is: Amazon UK in GBP, Amazon US in USD, HK sites generally in HKD, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_dimsum
    Thanks for all the replies!

GBP and USD seems quite synonymous no matter where the geographical location I suppose.
    Seriously, dude (or sir, Mr., etc.), in which world are you living? GBP is certainly not a world currency, and is certainly not used as extensively as the USD. No. The two are not synonyms. The GBP is only used in a small island in the north of Europe, and if you think it is as commonly used online as the USD, then you should stop visiting only UK sites. No site outside the UK would post its prices in GBP.

Now of course the question you have to ask yourself is "where the people who will buy from my site live in". If they live in HK you better advertise in HK$, if they live in Europe you better advertise in Euros, and if they live in the UK you better advertise in GBP. If they come from all over you may sell in Euros or USD. The advantage of Euros is that it's the currency of reference for 1/4 of the world GDP, while the advantage of the USD is that American people never heard of the Euro since they don't know there is a world out there. So if you use the USD you may sell more in the US.
    Last edited by Safran; 25-01-2009 at 02:14 PM.

well, some sites allow the choice of currency as I used to buy items from the US, CA, HK as well as Japan, sites which allows multiple currency include, dvdboxoffice.com, yes-asia.com, tokyoflash.com (strangely blocked to hk user)

availble currency would include GBP, EUR, SG$, HK$, AU$well as USD

Quote Originally Posted by Safran
    Seriously, dude (or sir, Mr., etc.), in which world are you living? GBP is certainly not a world currency, and is certainly not used as extensively as the USD. No. The two are not synonyms. The GBP is only used in a small island in the north of Europe, and if you think it is as commonly used online as the USD, then you should stop visiting only UK sites. No site outside the UK would post its prices in GBP.

Now of course the question you have to ask yourself is "where the people who will buy from my site live in". If they live in HK you better advertise in HK$, if they live in Europe you better advertise in Euros, and if they live in the UK you better advertise in GBP. If they come from all over you may sell in Euros or USD. The advantage of Euros is that it's the currency of reference for 1/4 of the world GDP, while the advantage of the USD is that American people never heard of the Euro since they don't know there is a world out there. So if you use the USD you may sell more in the US.
    Take heed the advance of others from here.. GBP is quite synonymous many websites. That being said, no doubt USD is the likely top candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_dimsum
    Take heed the advance of others from here.. GBP is quite synonymous many websites. That being said, no doubt USD is the likely top candidate.
    I was going to try to explain something to you, but on second thoughts, what's the point?

Indeed - Mr Dimsum could usefully go and look up the word synonymous in a dictionary.

Safran, no need arguing with this just for the sake of it. I personally don't believe the Euro is anywhere as widely used as GBP (online anyway), and also does not hold the same universality as what the USD does online. I feel the Euro is more inclusive to the countries in which it is to serve. I'm sure we both hold our bias, but to be rational, is to accept both sides of the argument. That being said, I'm likely going with USD as my default currency, and if what the poll suggests, I may be leaning towards a rational solution.

PDLM, tasteful comments as always.

Last edited by mr_dimsum; 28-01-2009 at 01:19 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2