How do you get a product designed?

Closed Thread

How do you get a product designed?

I have tried to buy something which it appears isn't available, it's very similar to an existing product but is modified. So I want to manufacture it. The problem is while I know exactly what I want, the reason it hasn't been manufactured is that there would need to be a new type of fastening designed.

I'm sure it's possible to do this with a good product designer/engineer. It's a very simple product, but it is for the medical market so would have to really be good/meet some sort of medical standards.

My problem is this one step (well for now at least), how do I find a product designer? and how do you protect the intellectual property? and lastly does anyone know what the way of paying for this goes... I mean is it a one off fee and even though they design the essential mechanism - I commissioned it - so I own the rights to them yeah?!? I don't have to pay them royalties do I?

Thanks for any help, clearly I need it!!

Have sent you a PM.

Hey Jaykay, Not sure if there is a time delay on this forum but I haven't got a PM from you yet... could you please resend it? Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ewok:
    I have tried to buy something which it appears isn't available, it's very similar to an existing product but is modified. So I want to manufacture it. The problem is while I know exactly what I want, the reason it hasn't been manufactured is that there would need to be a new type of fastening designed.

I'm sure it's possible to do this with a good product designer/engineer. It's a very simple product, but it is for the medical market so would have to really be good/meet some sort of medical standards.

My problem is this one step (well for now at least), how do I find a product designer? and how do you protect the intellectual property? and lastly does anyone know what the way of paying for this goes... I mean is it a one off fee and even though they design the essential mechanism - I commissioned it - so I own the rights to them yeah?!? I don't have to pay them royalties do I?

Thanks for any help, clearly I need it!!
    you need to know the difference between copyright and trade secret, as well as how these are dealt with in whatever jurisdiction you operate in.

if you are consulting with experts such as lawyers, designers, etc. you would need to have them sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) and if they are technical experts, also an evaluation agreement before you reveal your ideas to them.

If your idea gets stolen, a court will want to see some evidence that you have made an effort to keep a trade secret secret. If you copyright an idea, it cannot be secret by the very fact that copyright officials have seen it.