Like Tree5Likes

what license do i need to open up a tutoring/ learning center ?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb what license do i need to open up a tutoring/ learning center ?

I just came from america on a working visa. I am interested in opening my own tutoring center to teach english and math. Does anyone know what licenses I need to apply or get ? Would anyone know the typical start up for cost for a 1000 sq center ?

Thank you for all replies and help.

If you have an Employment Visa then you may only work for the company that sponsored that Employment Visa; you may not legally undertake any other employment.

it takes A LOT of work in order to open up a centre... not as easy as you hope...

besides, as PDLM rightly states, what you propose to do (if you intend on working in/for the centre) is illegal. if you do NO WORK for/at/in the centre, then it should be legal.

i suggest you do a little research by checking out the EDB's website.

m0rem0recha likes this.

Or to circumvent that, can the op invest with a partner (ltd or bvi), open it, then partner hires op in a new visa thru an agency?

Just off the top of my head (been researching into buying one).
    - renovations and chattels 150k (u can go nuts)
    - rent (depends on locale and type - 20-40k) and deposits 3-6x rent
    - don't forget staff like a full time recept (chinese if u aren't) and pt cleaner (12k). Teacher salaries are variable..
    - allot funds for advertising, and cash flow for 1 year as u are starting from zero.
    - do not open near band 2 or lower schools lol

- school license depends on how many students per session and how many total (there's a site somewhere).
    - since yr dealing with kids, incorp and get insurance.
    - btw the most profitable are playgroups which do not require a licence!

Good luck
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by DJ008; 27-04-2010 at 11:12 PM.
    m0rem0recha likes this.

i'm always amazed at people that think running a centre (that actually makes a profit) is easy... it's BLOODY HARD WORK! i've been at it for 2 years, built from scratch, not a penny spent on advertising....i'm now making enough to pay 2 cleaning ladies (part-time), one full-time assistant, one part-time teacher and myself (most months)...plus the supplies etc. there is not much left at the end of the day.

to people who have no idea what it takes, it looks like easy money... it can be if you don't give a damn about the quality of what you are offering. if you do give a hoot, as i do, it will be one of the most time-consuming things you will ever do.

m0rem0recha likes this.

Hey carang since yr in this, has the new diploma scheme affected yr biz? And why not advertise? I mean u been in it for 2 years, it should be pretty stable no?
    Posted via Mobile Device

thanks for reply

do u think its location that makes your center harder to make a profit ?

Quote Originally Posted by m0rem0recha:
    do u think its location that makes your center harder to make a profit ?
    it probably does but it would also keeps her rental costs down where as if you tried opening in say Mong Kok, just the rental fees would be a killer and eat a big chunk of your monthly running cost.

some small 90 sqft shops in mong kok that sell fishballs etc, the rent can be 100K a month.

Also remember to factor in PROTECTION money.

don't get me wrong, we ARE turning a profit and have been since about 3 months into it.

why not advertise? because i currently offer 21 classes per week (8 kids per class) and out of all the available spaces, i only have 10 vacancies...

i have an EXCELLENT reputation and word-of-mouth is the BEST advertising there is.

the rent where i am is very cheap (village house NOT a commercial building)...i have looked at renting in even small/rundown shopping centres and they are asking $25/sq ft.... right now, i have 700', but i want to expand. IF i were to go ahead and do it, i would want minimum 2500'-3000'... that's HUGE $$$!

my clientele are VERY loyal. i've had many of the kids virtually since i opened. i am now also getting siblings as the "babies" grow up.

my business is doing very well, but it's not turning a huge profit. it satisfactorily employs everyone and pays their salaries.

my point was this: it's BLOODY HARD WORK! i work probably 60-70 hours per week (only 15-20 of which are teaching hours). work never ends...have you ever been self-employed before? if so, then you'll have an idea of what i'm talking about.

besides, if you want GOOD teachers figure $300/hour, so staffing with GOOD staff that have loyalty and are willing to go the extra mile costs more. yes, you can pay less... but you know the saying, 'if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys..."

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast