Personal investment

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chris_in_hk:
    I don't really like capital guaranteed funds/deposits as generally they don't promise enough return for me. I'm looking for 10-15% average gain a year including dividends and I'm at that rate at the moment. It doesn't seem overly aggressive as it's only slightly above how the Hang Seng Index has done over the same period.

Freeier, around 50%, hmm. Do you have a mortgage or property? I'm around 90% invested in the market. I don't have a mortgage or property.

Personally, on a long term basis, i do not target 10% type of return. My general target is maybe 5~6%. Even though for the past few years i am achieving much more than that.. probably in the region of 15~20%..

Up till maybe 6mths ago I was like maybe 120% exposed (margin, futures, warrants, etc). But recently locked up a very successful trade and ended up quite cash. I prefer direct stock investment, or futures. MF only for certain theme.

With the uncertainty in global market, not sure which direction it will move now, i'd rather take a break and sit thru the volatility. Still doing some stock pick but not as agreessive. I would say my % in the market is more of a situation thing.. if i see more asset worth collecting i will collect. 8-)

Also dependent on job and family. Yes I have a mortage but that's not much of a liability to me (i don't consider live in apartment an asset). Wife and little baby to feed so would rather keep liquid with the risk/reward not attractive at the moment.

5-6% would be too low for me. I think 10-15% is a fair target as the long-term average of the S&P is around 10% and that doesn’t include the dividends.

Of course a lot depends on circumstance. I don’t have a mortgage to look after or a family to feed as that would definitely make me take a larger cash/cash equivalent position.

The market outlook is uncertain at the moment and I don’t know which way it’s going either. I’ve slowed down my investments and am building a bigger war chest. However, I’m not going to completely stop and have my eye on a few stocks that look attractive that I’d like to pick up. I also prefer direct stock investment and use mutual funds to give me exposure to other areas.

I’ve only been actively investing for less than 2 years so I think I’m still pretty new to this and I haven’t been tested by a bear market yet. Though I hope that won't happen for a while.

chris > just be careful.
    the psychology mindset of an investor thru the bear market is quite scary. having seen a few of them, that's why i rather be conservative at times.

i usually tell ppl not to start investment in a bull market. especially not the singaporean investors. they tend to end up losing more during the correction than they make during the run. 8-)
    but again, that is peculiar to singapore market so i shan't comment on the US one.

Thanks Freeier, I'm quite cautious myself and have learned quite a few things already in my relatively short investing history. I'm in it for the long-term and am fairly patient.

I've got a number of defensive stocks and I'm fairly well diversified. Well, actually, my stock portfolio could do with a little pruning. Stuff I bought early on which no longer play a part in my strategy. Just doesn't seem to be the time to off load them now.

I'm actually more in the HK market but have a reasonable holding of US stocks.

I realized that asian investment is very much syndicated. so i'd rather stick to singapore stocks that i'm familiar with.
    sometimes number just do not mean much... not always.. but often enough for me to prefer teh comfort of knowing what is possible...

to get back to the low risk thingy:

in germany there are tons of structured products available for small investors as well. i would love to invest into commodity linked products with capital protection, but the quite high german taxes on investment gains from structured products are still putting me off.

there's one product from societe general focussing on natural resources offered for trade in germany: "SG Rohstoff Airbag Zertifikat". if the basket value of this product ends up somewhere between 60% and 100% of the initial value at maturity, then you will still get back 100% of the invested capital. if it falls below 60% value, then there will be still a re-payment of 1.66 times the basket value. but in case the basket value is increasing, you will participate up to an increase of 35% at maturity.

there is still of course the risk of loss if the basket falls below 60%, so obviously it would be just about a low percentage i would consider investing into such products. but taking the recent development of commodities like oil, gas, zinc, copper etc. into account, it might be an interesting investment with a still reasonable risk.

do you know whether something like that is available in HKG as well?

connecta,

think it is avail. read it somewhere.

but not sure if the risk reward ratio makes sense.. personal feeling..

yes, i wouldn't recommend it beafan for example who was strictly setting the risk level to "low".

the personal feeling next to the financial circumstances is important to decide the risk level of a personal investment. for me it would be really just about maybe 2-3%, which i could invest in derivates and loose this small percentage completely in the worst case. but as i'm not doing it for living and have no time to watch the portfolio more than a several times a week, i would rather prefer to have some structured products with capital protection.

freeier, do you know where it is possible to buy such products? in germany we have got stock codes for these products available everywhere and with the certain type of account for private investors it's very easy to buy them instantly with extended trading hours. but here in hkg i couldn't find anything and structured products in hkg seem to be available only to commercial investors and large companies who e.g. are hedging against oil and/or currencies.

for example i could find the previously mentioned product from societe generale only on the their dedicated german website for structured products with a disclaimer which prevents usa residents even to to only enter it. but there are other many products with even better capital protection, in which i am interested. i just don't know whether it is possible at all for a private customer to buy such products in hkg.

Can't say that the meeting with the financial advisor was of much use. He printed out some factsheets for several funds (eg, Merill Lynch International Investment Funds Global Allocation, some Allianz balanced funds) and talked me through the basic terms. So this just spared me from having to browse their website and read by myself.
    Without any great investment strategy, I'm thinking of putting the bulk of my money in a USD time deposit at BEA for now and the rest into some kind of balanced fund. But what are your views on the current timing? Every fund they offer basically carries a 5% initial charge (with a 50% discount, he said) and an annual fee of about 1.5%. The only no-load funds I know of that can be readily purchased in HK are offered by Manulife, but they all seem to be growth oriented. Can anyone recommend others? Alternatively, are there any blue chip stocks (eg, HSBC, Swire) that are attractively priced at the moment?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by grandcider:
    Can't say that the meeting with the financial advisor was of much use. He printed out some factsheets for several funds (eg, Merill Lynch International Investment Funds Global Allocation, some Allianz balanced funds) and talked me through the basic terms. So this just spared me from having to browse their website and read by myself.
    Without any great investment strategy, I'm thinking of putting the bulk of my money in a USD time deposit at BEA for now and the rest into some kind of balanced fund. But what are your views on the current timing? Every fund they offer basically carries a 5% initial charge (with a 50% discount, he said) and an annual fee of about 1.5%. The only no-load funds I know of that can be readily purchased in HK are offered by Manulife, but they all seem to be growth oriented. Can anyone recommend others? Alternatively, are there any blue chip stocks (eg, HSBC, Swire) that are attractively priced at the moment?
    well my risk tolerance is LOW because i hvnt had any money saved and i cant lock in in case of rainy days. i am holding some stocks in a canadian blue chip but it's not performing, so i'm only keeping it for the dividends. so, i need to save money first b4 i can really invest in HK stocks.
    i was advised to wait for IPOs and buy them when they're cheap then hold. is this recommended?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast