30% tax on dividends with US stocks ?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

30% tax on dividends with US stocks ?

Hi

I'm opening an account with etrade for a HK company, and whereas the agent said there won't be any tax on capital gains, she also said there will be a 30% tax on all dividends - from the US authorities I gather. Is that what non americans in HK pay on their US stocks ?

Thnka for your input
    Luis

Besides the agent it would be only 10% for mainland china residents, so I'm a bit confused.

That is certainly what I heard from a (HK resident) friend who got caught out by this - he was investing in US stocks through Citibank and was rather surprised to be hit with a 30% tax on the dividends.

that is interesting - what exactly would you be paying the tax for?

It is called withholding tax, and generally arises when paying interest or dividends outside the company's home territory. This is done to mitigate tax evasion. Countries with tax treaties often enjoy a lower rate, but as HK has very few significant ones, people living here get hit with the full rate.

Even Hong Kong has an indirect withholding tax (through not allowing a deduction for profits tax) on interest payments when being paid offshore to non financial institutions.

Withholding tax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by LuisHK:
    Besides the agent it would be only 10% for mainland china residents, so I'm a bit confused.
    Because China's tax treaty with the USA specifically excludes Hong Kong.

i think you have been misled. there is tax withholding on short term cap gains, which is securities sold under 1 year.

US tax withholding only applies to US sources income. if you invests in US company that has 80% of its income from foreign sources like philip morris, there won't be tax withholding.

do watch out for MLP which will be 35% tax withholding even for all tax treaty countries.

Quote Originally Posted by kale:
    i think you have been misled.
    No - you simply haven't understood the question. The question relates to dividends, NOT capital gains.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    No - you simply haven't understood the question. The question relates to dividends, NOT capital gains.
    he made a statement saying no tax withholding on cap gain which was told by the etrade agent. it is a false statement. I was correcting him on that part.

also, like i said on the post above, not all dividends get withhold at 30%. check the 80/20 rule. there are a bunch of ADRs listed on US stock market which are treated different.

Thanks all for your replies and the extra info ! I definetely had no idea on the points Kale raised. As MLP I guess I'm not too concerned as looking for index funds rather than individual stocks, but can someone else confirm there would be witholding tax on those ETFs if resold before 1 year ?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast