Index funds

Closed Thread

Index funds

What's the best way to go about investing in index funds in Hong Kong? I know about the Tracker fund and the iShares China Tracker, but what about products that track other world indexes?

Also, the 0.99% management fees seem a bit high for indexing, no?

Overview

Here is the best overview I found:

http://www.hkex.com.hk/prod/etf/etftrd.htm

Thanks for the link. I suppose it's a comprehensive list of ETFs listed in Hong Kong, which makes it surprising that there is no option to track non-Asian indices. Are local investors so fixated on this region only?

I've heard that Vanguard offers accounts to non-US residents, but you need to have min. US100k in funds. Any other alternatives out there?

Quote Originally Posted by grandcider:
    Thanks for the link. I suppose it's a comprehensive list of ETFs listed in Hong Kong, which makes it surprising that there is no option to track non-Asian indices. Are local investors so fixated on this region only?

I've heard that Vanguard offers accounts to non-US residents, but you need to have min. US100k in funds. Any other alternatives out there?
    The Vanguard funds that you mention are there regular index funds (which are good products - no hello/goodbye money, fairly low expense ratios etc.).
    For ETFs, the page above is indeed a comprehensive list of what is traded on the exchange in Hong Kong. However, if your brokerage account allows you to trade US listed securities, you obviously have the full choice of popular ETFs (SPYDERS, iShares, etc.) and you can invest smaller amounts than with, say, the Vanguard funds (ironically, Vanguard has some ETFs but none tracking any of the major indices...).