Like Tree3Likes

10K HKD To invest per Month - Suggestions Please - Bank Depo / Gov Sec. / Prop?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

10K HKD To invest per Month - Suggestions Please - Bank Depo / Gov Sec. / Prop?

Hi All,

I have been an avid reader but now that I am living full time in HK I am taking the plunge with my first post.

I will have 10,000 HKD to invest per month and wanted to get some opinions on where I should put it.

Do not have a lump sum so I guess property is out of the quation. Not sure how an expat like myself could be limited when investing. My wife is from HK (3 stars) so perhaps I could leverage using a joint investment with her?)

The Link Reit (stock code 823) is a safe relaible bet. Stick 10K in there each month and you should get decent capital growth, and decent dividends.

First you need to understand what you consider is your 'investment risk tolerance' before you decide to know where you want to put your cash. Otherwise I could tell you to go to Happy Valley to make a killing or just put your cash under the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by randy1:
    The Link Reit (stock code 823) is a safe relaible bet. Stick 10K in there each month and you should get decent capital growth, and decent dividends.
    Most months anyway - a single lot is 500, at about $26 at the moment. And, yes, 4% divi. But you are taking a bit of a bet on the HK property market. You might want to split that with something else. I would suggest either CLP or Power Assets as a solid blue chip, but the difficulty is that a single lot of either would be about HK$30,000 at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Most months anyway - a single lot is 500, at about $26 at the moment. And, yes, 4% divi. But you are taking a bit of a bet on the HK property market. You might want to split that with something else. I would suggest either CLP or Power Assets as a solid blue chip, but the difficulty is that a single lot of either would be about HK$30,000 at the moment.
    Apologies in advance if this question is dumb PDLM. I posted a while back that I also have around 10k per month to invest. Is it possible to do this as a group, for example, me, the OP and one or two others? Is it easy to do, risky? I mean, maybe a few of us without enough cash to get into property could do something together?

don't invest for the sake of investment, rather save and wait until markets are down then invest

I'd put 50% into the property REIT listed above and 50% into the Index Tracker. That's pretty diversified (HK only though, but 10k is not much to go international). Dollar cost averaging is your friend. Don't wait for markets to stop bucking around.

Personally I wouldn't want to have my core investments tied in with other people - what happens if you need the cash in an emergency but the others don't agree to sell, for example?

For smallish amounts, and if you don't want to get into shares at the moment then with a horizon of more than 6 months I would move spare cash into RMB on the expectation of getting around 5% increase in HKD value per year. Obviously that doesn't work if you move cash in and out too often because there's a spread on the exchange rates.

Another idea:

To give an example, I currently have a tutorial centre where I pay 7000HKD per month rent on a two year lease. The property sells for around 2.25m My centre turns over about 50000HKD per month.

Of course I would love to purchase rather than rent.

To raise a mortgage the banks look for 50%, how could I get investors? Does it sound attractive to someone to own half of a commercial property say?

My main purpose for investing is to raise money for a deposit as quickly as possible..

Last edited by bryant.english; 10-08-2011 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Another idea:

To give an example, I currently have a tutorial centre where I pay 7000HKD per month rent on a two year lease. The property sells for around 2.25m My centre turns over about 50000HKD per month.

Of course I would love to purchase rather than rent.

To raise a mortgage the banks look for 50%, how could I get investors? Does it sound attractive to someone to own half of a commercial property say?
    Eminently possible. However, they won't be betting on the property. They will be betting on the business and that, basically, means betting on you. Good luck with that.
    Skyhook likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast