Like Tree3Likes

HSI compared to the rest of Asia

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HSI compared to the rest of Asia

Interesting to note how poorly the HSI has performed compared to the rest of Asia:

Asia-Pacific Stock Market Charts

(looking at the annual chart at the bottom of this page)

I assume this is because of the heavy influence of finance and banks?

No comment on which "failing state" to quote another poster has outperformed every other country.

Last edited by hullexile; 16-11-2011 at 12:12 PM.

If you look at the chart for 2009 and you ignore N225, then HSI didn't do much better compared to other markets.

Was wondering why HSI is down nearly 400 when everything else seem pretty stable.

Concern about Europe along with a concern about a slowing property market in china is what is weighing on HK today. To me the Hang Seng looks cheap. Having said that I am waiting for another period of panic before I buy in again.

Quote Originally Posted by randy1:
    Concern about Europe along with a concern about a slowing property market in china is what is weighing on HK today. To me the Hang Seng looks cheap. Having said that I am waiting for another period of panic before I buy in again.
    Doesn't really explain why over the last year the HSI has underperformed by around 30% compared to Indonesia and the Philippines (plus every other Asian market).

The Oracle of Park Island has spoken.

If the market goes up on Friday he will say he bought on todays weakness and sold for a profit.

If market goes down he will say he is going to wait for it to go down more and buy more citing this post as his prophecy.

Park Island prices are going to go up to Repulse Bay/Peak levels.

Alien. Your comment doesn't really contribute much to the topic of discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Doesn't really explain why over the last year the HSI has underperformed by around 30% compared to Indonesia and the Philippines (plus every other Asian market).
    Hux. I agree. My earlier comment related to the question about the market falling today.

As to why it's down so much for the year I find it hard to explain. As I said earlier, to me the Hang Seng looks cheap right now.

One could make an argument that the peg to the usd is to blame in the short term. But long term I think the peg and a falling usd should push stocks up just like it did to HK property.

Probably the best explanation I can think of is that the Hang Seng is increasingly seen as being tied to China and therefore affected by ongoing concerns about China's economy and corporate governance.

I'm pretty bullish on HK stocks and think its fine to buy in now.
    Last edited by randy1; 16-11-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Alien. Your comment doesn't really contribute much to the topic of discussion.
    Oh the irony!

I forgot to mention I sold all my investment properties that had super low financing. Went long on gold, short on European banks and got in ahead of li Ka shing on my other trades.

I bought some spring rolls off a street vendor and as a hedge bought some immodium. The hedge proved extremely useful this morning in preventing all my investment going down the toilet.

Cwbguy, HowardCoombs and 100LL like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast