How should I invest for the next 2 years?

Closed Thread

How should I invest for the next 2 years?

Hi!

I plan on moving to HK in about 2 years time. I want to get started on investing there and I've got 400K HKD to start off with as a lump sum.

Does anyone suggest anything?

1. What should I be doing with the intial funds?
    2. What should I be looking at if can put away 30K a month?

Thanks

Invest in a flat

Buy a flat and rent it out until you get here

Quote Originally Posted by Lips:
    Buy a flat and rent it out until you get here
    I am not trying to discredit you here but are you sure thats the best way to go? I am no property/investment expert but I am uncertain about this as the HK property prices do flutuate a lot compared with overseas house prices which generally (generalising here guys) is on the slow gain.

I too am seriously asking myself if I should buy property in Hk in the current market now as I am also looking for a place to stay as well but don't want to get sucked in if the house prices are currently high.

Step 1: Get a paper which lists the products you're interested in investing (i.e. stocks).

Step 2: Get about 10 metal tipped darts.

Step 3. Stick the paper with the stock listings on a dart board or any surface which will retain a the thrown dart.

Step 4. Throw the darts at the paper.

Step 5: Go to your local broker/deal and purchase those stocks hit by darts.

Step 6: You're done!!! Happy investing.

Buying stocks is one of your options as there's no tax charges for capital gain.

The OP will be taxed on his HK investments according to the tax rules where he is resident during the next 2 years - the tax rules in HK are only a very small part of the story. Different countries have different rules about overseas investments so the OP needs to take some advice from a tax expert in his country of residence.

Last edited by PDLM; 10-10-2007 at 05:04 PM.