Like Tree23Likes

Are people really losing money on their properties?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

why is festival city selling like water at 9M plus but they cant rent the units and rental prices are dropping to 14k for 1000 sq ft.

i dont care about festival city personally, just using it as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by booth:
    why is festival city selling like water at 9M plus but they cant rent the units and rental prices are dropping to 14k for 1000 sq ft.

i dont care about festival city personally, just using it as an example.
    I wondered that myself. I considered moving there but the rental price makes no sense and the last thing I would want to be hit with a 50%+ price hike in 12 months time (considering a large part of the reason I would move there is price).

I have, though, seen a lot of griping online about that property. another reason I chose to stay put where I am....

Quote Originally Posted by booth:
    good points, so what are your estimates on whether the property will go up or come down?

some estates i dont understand the rentals, sale prices, etc.
    IF only anyone new. I have no idea on the global scale.

I have only got 2 flats in HK.
    One worked very well as an investement and was sold a while back.
    The other one, I live in it and bought it with the prospect of staying for about 4/5 years and then see how things are. I have no issue keeping it and renting it out while moving out of HK or buying another place, and I have no issue with selling it if the price is "right".

But before buying I spent months visiting flats in that area (and a few others) and looking at what was the potential of specific properties in that area as well as elaborating worst case scenario (ie drop of 70%, interests giong up big time...). After months of considerations I made what I considered at the time an offer within my range and after a few hours of negotiation the seller went down to the price I wanted.

While the purchase itself took only a few hours, the research took months. If you are not prepared to do this, then forget about it. (unless you are filthy rich and do not care).

Regards to Tai Wai Festival City, there are 2 government schools on the podium, so that cant be a good sign. Many people say its loud. I dont really want to consider it either. You can try to sign a 2 yr where only the tenant can break the lease, but considering landlords are taking 6 month leases, maybe they predict the prices to go up after the supply tames down.

Some units had a sewer odor and I was like wtf. They are brand new.

About the research and price. I dont think I could get a seller to budge as much as I would like, so I remain on the sidelines. I do like particular buildings too.

What is your budget booth?

I can find places in my budget, but I just feel like its too much risk. I dont see the value in the flat itself to justify the purchase.

Risk assertion is the first thing you should be doing for any type of investment...

I noticed sewer odor a lot of times in SZ properties, even brand new ones (to be fair, only in the toilet though).

Quote Originally Posted by dipper:
    Yes but you're presumably not leaving it empty for 25 years. So on top of any value increase you're presumably also getting a rental yield of say, 4%.
    Yes, I was assuming self use, but the model can be used for investment rental also. To do this I benchmark the property against a safe corporate bond, usually giving between 3-5%.

The rental yield figure is misleading, a 4% figure does not mean a 4% return. After factoring vacancy, routine repairs, and rental income taxes, the return is more like 2-2.5%.

In reality, the rental income is important from a cash flow perspective, but does not make or break the investment. In hong kong property, the big swings in wealth are determined by appreciation/depreciation.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast