Like Tree9Likes

Is it still a good time to buy a small price property in HK for investment.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vroom:
    By chance are you a property broker ??
    Nah, he's just a broke guy with no property.

Quote Originally Posted by Molie:
    I personally wouldn't buy in HK right now, there are much better places in Asia to buy property. Penang for example.
    I agree Penang is a good place to invest.

What's there to invest to be honest. I work in finance and I look at the state of the market. Even massive investment banks, with hundreds of Research, Analysts, Sales, Traders with decades of experiences in what they do...they still lose money. desks are shutting down, banks are firing people by hundreds. Are you telling me that a single individual like you or me, just by reading on a few charts and a few piece of news can make good safe investments? I don't really believe in it to be honest. It will always be a gamble.
    Property market and gold (long only) seem to be the 2 safest things to do right now. Anything short term is a gamble and might turn - very quickly - against you.
    If I had some spare cash (which i don't) I would still buy properties. Maybe not in HK right now (although I still think it will go up for a few years). But if you listen to people on this forum,i am sure they will tell you exactly how they all became millionaires with very smart investments made of blue chip stocks, deposits, bonds etc...

Depends if you are here for the long run. A rental gives you about 2.5-3% p.a. If you are getting a home loan you must tell the bank you are renting it out, if not, they might call loan if they find out. Bear in mind that you need to pay SSD if you are selling the place within 2 years time. So not a good option if you are here for a short time.

If you have 2-3M HKD to spare (that's what I assume when you say small price property), have you considered putting the money in a RMB deposit? I think the yield is around 2.5 percent p.a., which is not bad in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by vroom:
    By chance are you a property broker ??
    There are similarities, for example property brokers are also not known for their honesty.

We just did. But I agree with Movingin07, you need to be able to afford to wait the market out if necessary and don't over stretch yourself in terms of rental income vs mortgage commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquorice:
    We just did. But I agree with Movingin07, you need to be able to afford to wait the market out if necessary and don't over stretch yourself in terms of rental income vs mortgage commitment.
    I remember a wise old property agent (not one of the young kids in a smart suit) asking me a few years ago - what will you do if there is nobody to rent the property?
    dear giant likes this.

And an even wiser one said, where would you live if your current landlord kicked you out ...

Last edited by randy1; 02-10-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by randy1:
    And an even wiser one said, where would you live if your current landlord kicked you out ...
    I own where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by randy1:
    I agree Penang is a good place to invest.
    I actually have thought of buying a property in southeast asia like Malaysia; you get better deal for your money but I'm often weary about offshore purchase as a foreigner and the taxing issue.

I just thought maybe it's better to put money in real estate cause at least you can get rental income, the stock market not doing too good and fluctuate a lot? Also if you buy stocks yourself you need to pay attention to the market all the time. Agree?