Like Tree11Likes

SCMP Reports 6% Rise in Sales in 2012

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    True, I almost went and bought stocks in newspapers.
    A non-property buyer should morph quite well into an almost newspaper stock buyer.
    Just for interest anybody who bought into SCMP Group Ltd (0583) 12 months ago would have seen their stock rise 12.41%.

Maybe I should. They did better than my MPF.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    Maybe I should. They did better than my MPF.
    (I don't feel comfortable with newspaper shares so I don't think I will be jumping in there quite yet although SCMP are making an effort with their revamped website paid-for offering.)
    Going back to the headline number of {property} transactions, the 15% tax has put a bump in the road, but like the Singapore experience would expect it to be eventually sucked up and factored in. Those hoping for a major price correction may be in for another year of disappointment.

The market will stay quiet until after CNY. If people are buying for long term to live in, 15% is not so bad.
    Good to see the developers trimming their asking prices, about time.

Actually, just thinking about it, people who buy, pay BSD and later become PR should get a refund!

What is it about property that turns probably perfectly decent people into utterly tedious bores?

MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mid_gen:
    What is it about property that turns probably perfectly decent people into utterly tedious bores?
    Resentment would be up there.
    Last edited by walkup; 08-01-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Ah yes I forgot the insufferable smugness and assumption that anyone not piling all their money into property is crying themselves to sleep at night.

I like renting (or "paying other people's mortgages"....saved you the trouble). Apart from anything else it means I am never at risk of turning into one of those awful people everyone tries to avoid being sat next to at dinner because of the inevitable hours of property market drivel they'll be subjected to

shenwen and TheBrit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mid_gen:
    Ah yes I forgot the insufferable smugness and assumption that anyone not piling all their money into property is crying themselves to sleep at night.

I like renting (or "paying other people's mortgages"....saved you the trouble). Apart from anything else it means I am never at risk of turning into one of those awful people everyone tries to avoid being sat next to at dinner because of the inevitable hours of property market drivel they'll be subjected to
    this

HK is the only place I have lived where buying a house is seen as some kind of personal achievement rather than a simple, pragmatic transaction.

"Yes, I know he split the atom, but I bought an apartment in 2009. Who is the real winner here?"

Really? In the UK in the 1970s Mrs Thatcher's policy of selling of public housing at a discount so that people could own their own home was a very major factor in her early popularity. Owning your own home was seen as a very big thing in the UK at the time.

bdw likes this.

Owning your own home is a big achievement anywhere I would have thought. Not sure what Shenwen is going on about.

MovingIn07 likes this.