Like Tree12Likes

How should I invest 5 Mio HK$?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    Maybe he IS the child?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Any set of ethics thst forces you to have sex is a rather broken one it seems to me.
    You twist my words. Nah that force is driven by nature I am afraid. Ethics come into play later.

Since you are in your mid-40s and you have just had a child, I would think that you will be retiring at about 70, maybe. The best thing you can do is to invest in a gym membership and be careful what you eat as we don't want you falling over prematurely until the child has finished Uni. Having HKD5 million may supplement your income with a rental stream, but is unlikely to be sufficient to replace your current job.

OP: aren't you the poster who wants the government unpeg the HKD to USD in order to bring down property prices?

Where are you from Cheepo?
    With 5m, you could basically buy 2-3 houses outright in the UK! Live in one yourself, rent the others out, get a PT job for fun, grow some veg, and live modestly.
    Quite a nice life if you don't need the tropical holidays or latest brands etc.

Last edited by SiuMaiTaiTai; 31-01-2013 at 04:51 PM.

If you believe the ads, buy 5 properties in the US (For $500k you can get not one, two or three properties, not four.........but FIVE properties in the land of the free, where dreams are made of US of A)!!!!!!

Sorry Virago, my idea of 6 shanghai taxis is much better than your idea of 5 US of A properties

virago and Mat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuMaiTaiTai:
    Where are you from Cheepo?
    With 5m, you could basically buy 2-3 houses outright in the UK! Live in one yourself, rent the others out, get a PT job for fun, grow some veg, and live modestly.
    Quite a nice life if you don't need the tropical holidays or latest brands etc.
    Maybe in some woebegotten place in the middle of nowhere, but certainly not Inner London where you would be struggling to find anything much better than HK Central.

Who mentioned anything about London? Plenty of people live outside of big cities quite happily.

Sorry for the long silence. I have been quite busy with my work (which explains why I looking for something else).

I was looking for ideas on how to invest my money in a business, not on financial planning. I know that I can't retire with $5M. And I know that having a baby complicates everything, but I wouldn't exchange my baby for $100M (though you can have my wife for $25 if you want). (Just kidding darling, don't hit me). And I know that maybe the price of housing will collapse tomorrow and I will be broke, but I am fairly confident I will have 5M next year (I am close to it) and that prices will drop in 2015, so next year is a good time to sell my house and invest the profits.

I am grateful for all posters, including the one below, but this business is a bit difficult for me, with my limited knowledge of Chinese. An option I thought of was opening a micro-brewery. I once read of someone doing it on Lamma Island, and he is doing just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    You should buy 6 taxis in Shanghai for RMB 750,000 each. Rent them out to the drivers for RMB 9000 per month. Make an easy 15% yearly return. Piece of cake.