Like Tree6Likes

Stock Broker Bankruptcy: What happens to my stocks and cash?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Stock Broker Bankruptcy: What happens to my stocks and cash?

After watching all the news about Cyprus, I wanted to know how safe my stocks and cash in HK would be should my broker go bankrupt.

My broker said that my stocks were kept with a custodian bank and in the event they or the custodian went bankrupt, I'd be protected by the Investor Compensation Fund:

http://www.hkicc.org.hk/about_us/introduction_e.htm

It turns out the ICF will only compensate you up to HKD150K max. A ridiculously small amount! especially for those who put a big portion of their life savings in stocks.

I called up the ICF and a lady there suggested I check out the investor accounts with CCASS which is owned by the HKEX. I called up CCASS and the guy there said that similarly as stocks are held under HKEX's name, should HKEX go bankrupt (unlikely but theoretically possible), then yes, I'd also lose all my stocks except for the HKD150K claim against the ICF.

So what to do? A lot of my life savings are in HK stocks and I would hate to lose my life savings just because my intermediary went bust!

I thought our stocks and cash were to be segregated and presumably, accessible to us should the broker go bust but that appears not to be the case. How can I protect myself??

TheBrit and Aakash123 like this.

This sounds like a John Corzine/MF Global issue type of question. If you worry about such things I suggest just deal through blue-chip brokers and pay higher charges?

The best of Hong Kong is that it is backup by China. HK People tends to buy apartments instead of stocks with lower risk

Diversify your assets if you are worried.

What?? If I buy shares of (say) HSBC through (say) BOCHK and BOCHK goes bankrupt I lose the shares of HSBC?? This doesn't make sense to me! Surely, the shares belong to me, and not to BOCHK.

I guess I am reading you wrong.

Do brokers go bust?

yes

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by greenmark:
    Do brokers go bust?

To reduce the risk of loss from a Bankrupt Broker, you should trade through a large bank like HSBC or Hang Seng Bank.
    Other alternative is to open your account with CCASS. HK Government is a major shareholder of HKEx and have appointed their own directors on the board. Chances of HKEX going bankrupt is much lower, than you being killed in a road accident.

nihaoma, shri and Aakash123 like this.

I think it's strange that stocks and such would be lost. Cash I could understand but not securities that are held in my name.

I'm sorry your stock broker went bankrupt and you lost all your money. I don't really know what else to say, so here's a

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast