Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By cookie09
  • 1 Post By Raccon

Understanding how to purchase a bond

Closed Thread

Understanding how to purchase a bond

Hi guys,

Could you please teach me how to read something like this (attached or link below):

http://www.asx.com.au/asx/markets/pr...sxCodes=GSBW13

Does this mean:
    1) The current price is 101.875 (offer). So to get 1000 units of this, I would fork out $101,875
    2) I will get 4.324% coupon on 16th December, so on my 1000 bonds, I will get 4,324 / 2 = $2,162 (as coupon rates are annualized)
    3) What is "Next Ex-Date" ?
    4) The actual annual return then is 4,324/101,875 = 4.24%
    I read a few articles online but I am still confused!

Is this right?

Thanks!

What currency is this bond? If it'd hkd I am interested

On an unrelated note, does anybody know where I can find higher yield hkd bonds?

AUD. I think you can buy corporate bonds from the HSBC website. Interest rates aren't as good. With AUD you take a big currency risk (converting HKD to AUD) but I already have AUD so looking to just buy bonds to keep principal intact by holding it to maturity.

Original Post Deleted
    DeletedUser is pretty spot on. the only thing to add is that your actual percentage return is expressed as yield which in this case is 4.32%. since the bond matures by December, you will get the full face value back (100%) plus the coupon payment adjusted for the days as per DeletedUser's calcs.

Your actual return will be slightly lower still since you also need to pay transaction fees.
    scumbag likes this.

Thanks guys. One thing still puzzles me though. Why would someone put money in term deposits in Australia if they can buy better yielding Gov bonds instead? (like the one above). For non residents, there's no withholding tax either. Is it because if someone wants to sell a bond halfway, there's a chance they will lose a tiny portion of the principal?

Original Post Deleted
    you also have different credit risks on both. the bond is underwritten by the government (which could theoretically default) and the term deposit is underwritten by the respective bank

Maybe it's also because you have little money to invest? Bonds may come in $10,000 chunks, or $1,000 chunks? If you want to invest less than that you would buy term deposits.

Also, DeletedUser, do you know what the difference is between Next ex date and next dividend date?

Quote Originally Posted by scumbag:
    Also, DeletedUser, do you know what the difference is between Next ex date and next dividend date?
    Click on the word and the help will be shown.

Note that the price of bonds doesn't drop when the coupon is paid.
    scumbag likes this.