• 1 Post By HowardCoombs
  • 1 Post By z754103
  • 1 Post By Morrison
  • 1 Post By Oldtimer

Investing - education?

Closed Thread

Investing - education?

So

Got a bit of cash sitting around, wife, mistress, etc, and a bit of spare cash.

I've already got suckered into one of these IFA 20 year mutual fund things (luckily, I think, its a small amount of money each month, so not too too worried about it), bought some property, bought some shares, ibonds and the hot bank relationship manager has sold me some other products.

Thing is where can I read up and learn more about investing. I guess I want to get my money to do a bit more than it is. I seem to be doing OK and do have some spare cash to invest? But in what is the big question? I could go back to the IFA chappy or the hot bank relationship manager but I presume they will try and push whatever product they get the biggest commission on.

Therefore I think I need to read up and learn more about how and where to invest. I know there is a wealth of information out there, probably too much as I do feel a bit overwhelmed, also I have no idea where to start.

Not asking for investment advice (although that would be nice!) but more trying to ask where I can start learning and reading up on it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

www.fool.com is a good place to start.

www.cnbc.com and www.marketwatch.com are 2 good place to surf on a daily basis to get a feel for the market.

www.businessinsider.com is a good place to get light-hearted, business slanted daily news

Stay away from investment message boards in general

PS: I have heard good things about www.investopedia.com but have never used it and never visit it...
    Last edited by HowardCoombs; 18-10-2013 at 02:49 PM.
    pin likes this.

Try also the Vanguard website. You probably won't be able to buy their stuff, but their research pieces will cover the basics, and be relatively unbiased. They're one of the very few fund houses that does act in their clients' best interests.

pin likes this.

Mistress pyramid scheme or timeshare

Start with The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham.

I have also read following books
    Security Analysis, Graham
    Fooled by Randomness, Taleb
    Stocks for the long run, Siegel
    Short history of financial euphoria, Galbraight
    Investment biker
    Charlie Munger's Almanach
    The most important thing, Marks
    Thinking, Kahnemann
    Deep Simplicity, Gribbin

Just read a broad spectrum of finance, psychology and math books, you will find more recommended readings in
    these books.

Ignore media and finance news, too much hype.

Last edited by Morrison; 18-10-2013 at 04:28 PM.
    shri likes this.

Most important is to learn to read a Balance Sheet. It is very boring, but there is lots of information you can glean from it. Do your own analysis of a stock. Read balance sheets for the past 5 years. See if the company is growing . How much cash flow it is re invested and how much is left over for dividends.

shri likes this.

Neither I nor Oldtimer ever mentioned single stocks.

Spooky. I was wondering exactly the same yesterday. Thanks for the thread pin, and the advice everyone else.

Sent from my GT-P6800 using GeoClicks mobile app