How to invest 1 million bucks?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

just my humble 2 cents worth

equities are highly volatile so stay out till the correction is over . If you bought now, the downside probabilities is way higher than any potential upside.

Simple strategy which works for me and is so easy anyone can do it. I am surprised how so many of my friends are unaware and are thanking me over the past few months. Buy Chinese Yuan against your HKD holdings. It will most likely hit 1.20 CNY/HKD by year end due to weakening USD and the appreciating yuan inherent to curb inflations.

I have bought yuan from 1.03 to present and still buying tons of it. Other than that I am active in only FX markets.

Pls take what i say with a huge pinch of salt as you would any advice recieved on forums and happy investing!

Last edited by novaflux; 18-06-2008 at 10:01 PM.

No offense here but i am not sure how anyone can just recommend you anything without knowing what risk you can afford and your overall pictures of financial situation. in my opinion that Man AHL is more of a "hedge" purpose so its really shouldnt' be the dominant part of yr portfolio.

I am not trying to sell/de-sell anything here, i am a CFP and been in this industry for over 10 years. Financial planning in HK is very different than elsewhere. Most of the banks/IFAs are pressing their "hit" products and their staff to sell and frankly most of the investors are looking for quick bucks.

Like a year ago, there was this frenzy about investing in vietnam and look what happen now? stock/funds have lost more than 50% of their value!!! and not many advisor have advised their client that they should put no more than x% of this within their portfolio becos they are aware of the volatility.

so pinko, wherever/whoever you might be investing in, please be sure you do some of your homework as well and ensure that your advisor/agent/broker is benefiting you instead of himself. my 2 cents and good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by novaflux:
    I have bought yuan from 1.03 to present and still buying tons of it. Other than that I am active in only FX markets.
    This looks interesting. Can you tell me how do you buy Yuan? I am assuming you aren't buying physical cash? If you have a Yuan holding, what interest rate do you receive on it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I see that you can buy PCCW bonds with a yield of about 5.41% at the moment. That's pretty solid unless you think PCCW has a significant chance of defaulting.
    Hello PDLM,

I am new to this and interested to invest myself. How would I make a purchase of PCCW bonds? I assume I have to contact a broker - anyone you would recommend?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HKNewBi:
    This looks interesting. Can you tell me how do you buy Yuan? I am assuming you aren't buying physical cash? If you have a Yuan holding, what interest rate do you receive on it?

Thanks
    Yes I buy physical cash (via electronic banking). All residents of HK can open a Yuan account . Just visit your bank and set it up, once opened you can buy no more than CNY 20,000 per day using HKD. I place my CNY in a term deposit paying 0.75% interest which is low, the objective is capital gains within 12 months on your FX.

Quote Originally Posted by HKNewBi:
    I am new to this and interested to invest myself. How would I make a purchase of PCCW bonds?
    The only way I know is the same way I do pretty much all my investing in HK: through HSBC Online Banking.

Spam

Hi Andy Khan !

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4