Buying Condo for retirement

Closed Thread

Buying Condo for retirement

US citizen living and working in US planning to buying 2 BR condo in HK (Yuen Long or Fanling) now and retiring there 10 years from now. So I will be renting the unit until I am ready to relocate. I am also HK citizen since I was born in HK and has a HK ID.

- Any issues with me getting a mortgage in HK using HK ID but my income W2 is from US?
    - Any tax complications for me in the US and in HK with rental income?
    - Opinion on retiring in HK as oppose to US cities such as NY and Florida?

What is the best way to do this?

I am trying to make a good investment decision. I like HK for its nice living along with free goverment medical coverage.

preludefan

I share the same desire! Though im not a citizen yet.... will be interesting to hear from those in the know about this!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using GeoClicks mobile app

Are you convinced that buying a property in a secondary area and in a country you will be absent from for most of the time is a good investment decision?

One thing I can assure you is you are right about the excellent medical coverage for the retirees here .you won't be alone lots return just for this reason.having applied for a mortgage they looked only at my hongkong income . Email one of the mortgage broker here they give free quotes

I am thinking to buy in Malaysia rather than buying in HK for my retirement. Benefits in HK are not as good as comparing to the US, why would you want to leave US especially for retirement?