Like Tree31Likes

Tenant left without paying rent / how to find him ?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The point is - there should be some law to stop such persons doing such things, I am sure the
    tenant must have done it before that's why I can't find him using his name/id card, it looks
    like well planned, but it doesn't mean that the tenant can get away every time.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You're 'lucky' he didn't pour concrete into the toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Perhaps a private investigator, but that might cost than the clean-up/bills.

Information on declaring someone bankrupt available here:

http://www.oro.gov.hk/eng/publications/bankguide.htm

You have to pay $11,250 deposit to cover the fees and expenses to be incurred by the Official Receiver and pay a Court fee of $1,045 to the Registry.

Thanks!
    Now we getting somewhere.

Or, if he is a member of a professional association, such as an accountant, lawyer, maybe contact them to see if a forwarding address.

FYI - You shouldn't pay the electric or water or phone or any other bill on the property because -- unless you a complete numpty, these will be in the name of the absconder and have a deposit against them.

You can pay all that money to find him and make him bankrupt or just swallow a few K and then learn the lesson to be a landlord who pays attention. If the tenant doesn't pay his rent then you go to court, get an ex party judgement ( see the housing ordinance ) and let loose the bailiffs before they have a chance to default again AND you get to secure all the goodies they own and not just the crap.

If you have let your tenant run for months without paying then you only have yourself to blame.

You said he was on whatsapp and also self employed. So... get a friend to whatsapp him and say somebody recommended him for a job. Can they meet up and discuss the job? Then you go instead.

mrdollars, cookie09 and INXS like this.

Based on the govt site explanation of chasing rent is through small courts which you have done already but it still depends on the person being sued if he/she wants to pay the money which in this case since he/she didnt even bother turning up seems they dont want to pay you anything so it seems your shit out of luck unless you use a debt collection agency which will take % of the money owed, its better than nothing I suppose.

Amount Collected Commission Rate (Age of Accounts)
    60 days 120 days 180 days
    HK$20,000 or below 30% 35% 40%
    HK$20,001 - $500,000 25% 30% 35%
    HK$50,001 - $1,000,000 20% 25% 30%
    HK$1,000,001 or above 18% 20% 25%

Original Post Deleted
    I don't disagree but the OP was asking for ideas on how to find the person!

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    You said he was on whatsapp and also self employed. So... get a friend to whatsapp him and say somebody recommended him for a job. Can they meet up and discuss the job? Then you go instead.
    even if you meet up with the person, what will the OP do, kidnap him, walk him to the ATM machine to get the money out and pay him, both are criminal offenses if I'm not mistaken. Best to spend money on a debt collector who will harass the shit out of the person who is owing money

Each time I have ended a rental contract here in HK, the landlord has kindly let me off the last 2 months' rent in order to seamlessly return my deposit.

Now I think about it, it really is open to abuse. Why not get the rent, check the apartment, and only then return the deposit?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast