Like Tree71Likes

Which country to buy a property right now?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Max1478:
    I have the right to live pretty much everywhere, if I find a job. Without the job only the EU. So my list is: the world. What is the best place, off "the world"?
    This is naive at best. You might want to include the place you are currently working, but just thinking you can purchase anywhere in the world you like is plain silly. MANY countries prevent non-residents from purchasing property (Philippines, for example) while others have hidden risks that only residents (and probably long term residents at that) know about.

You said in your opening post that you were "hopeless at shares". Well property has the same fundamentals as shares - if you do your homework, analyse the market and make sensible and well informed decisions then you get far better outcomes than guess work. Or asking for recommendations from the internet. IMHO, you may just be poor at investing full stop.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    This is naive at best. You might want to include the place you are currently working, but just thinking you can purchase anywhere in the world you like is plain silly. MANY countries prevent non-residents from purchasing property (Philippines, for example) while others have hidden risks that only residents (and probably long term residents at that) know about.

You said in your opening post that you were "hopeless at shares". Well property has the same fundamentals as shares - if you do your homework, analyse the market and make sensible and well informed decisions then you get far better outcomes than guess work. Or asking for recommendations from the internet. IMHO, you may just be poor at investing full stop.
    I usually don't bother replying to posts like this, but I will make an exception in this case.

You wrote "list the countries you HAVE THE RIGHT TO LIVE IN", and not "the countries you can purchase in". And yes, I can live pretty much everywhere, because I am very well educated and have a bunch of money (like most expats posting on geoexpat). I could live in the Philippines if I wanted to (I don't), for example.

And yes, I know that many countries "prevent non-residents from purchasing property". Duh! Everybody knows that! But you would be surprised there are often ways around it. I know people who have bought in the Philippines, Indonesia, even Laos. People usually buy through a name-giver, or a company, or their girlfriend/wife (in Thailand). Not that I would like to buy in such countries. I am just saying that it can be done.

Besides, why would it matter whether I can live in the country where I buy the property? This is an INVESTMENT property, and I am only looking at high yield (and other things of course, like low taxation). I don't want to live in that property! (google "define investment property"). I am considering places like Germany and the UK for example, but I wouldn't want to live in either of them.

For intelligent, constructive advise, go read the posts by bdw. He told me about an opportunity, and it's up to me to find out whether I want to take up that opportunity or not.

As for your "if you do your homework, analyse the market and make sensible and well informed decisions then you get far better outcomes than guess work. Or asking for recommendations from the internet".

Just wow! So you think that anybody who asks for ideas from a forum is only using ONLY THAT to find information about investments? Just wow! I suggest next time you do some more thinking before posting. Again, message boards are used to get new ideas, or debate options, as you would do with your friends. It's one part of "research" (google "define research"), other parts being "talking to financial advisors", "reading newspapers", etc. Please google "define guesswork" since you don't seem to know what it means.

This is your second post on this thread, neither of which was of any use. I hope that this is not your trend on geoexpat.

I hope you are not a financial adviser!
    Last edited by Max1478; 01-09-2014 at 10:00 AM.
    bdw and evechan like this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Here on GeoExpat, people have very unflattering things to say about what this developer calls "Sexy Bathrooms"

Phase 2 Bora Residences | Show Units | Tropicana Danga Bay | Property in Iskandar Malaysia | Johor

Sexy? Watching your partner shower and poop is not sexy. We've decided that.

Quote Originally Posted by Max1478:
    bdw, aren't you concerned about oversupply in JB, mentioned by Towering oversupply and Johor chokes on property (Update) - Business News | The Star Online for example?

Otherwise, how has your investment in KL gone? Is your flat managed by an agency? How is the experience? Are they honest and efficient? If yes, can you give me their contact details?

Thanks!
    Sorry I missed this post for some reason. Yes I am concerned about possible oversupply in JB, which is one reason I am still considering and haven't pulled the trigger yet. But overall I think if its a long term investment it's hard to go wrong.

My flat in KL is still under construction. Should be completed soon. I'll decide then whether to keep it and get an agent and rent it out or just sell it. I bought a new development along Jalan Ampang (the street with all the embassies and international schools) and they are building an MTR across the road. There are some no bullshit photos of the site construction progress here:
    Site Progress | M CITY – The Ultimate Garden City Experience and if you follow that site around there is plenty of marketing bullshit stuff on there too. They are building a small shopping mall underneath with a village grocers (like a city super), I get 2 parking bays etc and only about HK$2.5m for real 1100sqf (I only put down a total 25% spread over the 2 year construction phase and leverage the other 75% from HSBC Malaysia.

>> the other 75% from HSBC Malaysia.

Are you Malaysian? Or do they provide mortgages for offshore buyers through the developer or something like that?

No I am not Malaysian. Foreigners are allowed to purchase maximum 2 properties in Malaysia, minimum price of each property RM1,000,000 (I think, its a new rule, used to be minimum 600,000 at the time I purchased).

I was more curious about the HSBC part.

You quite literally walk into the excelsior hotel in causeway bay (or sometimes the holiday inn in TST), meet the developer, meet a representative from the Malaysian bank, meet a few lawyers, they swipe your credit card for 5% of the value and walk out an hour later owning a property in Malaysia. Its that simple.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I was more curious about the HSBC part.
    HSBC Malaysia fly representatives from their bank to HK every weekend. They are happy to give you a mortgage for around 70% to 80% with very limited criteria (show proof of salary and that's about it).
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Firstly, avoid ANYTHING that is marketed at overseas buyers (several of which have already been mentioned above). They are almost always more expensive than going there in person, using a local real estate agent, and just buying something identical or similar like a local. (We used to joke about this in Australia - the prices of the properties quoted in the overseas advert were often 2 or 3 TIMES the price you could buy locally)
    Katherine, can you actually back this up with some real evidence? I think the joke is on you if you think properties targeted at overseas buyers are 2 or 3 times the price what locals are paying. I call bullshit on this. If you say there is some kind of premium attached when targeting overseas investors then you might have some credibility, but not 2-3 times. But still even for this can you back this up at all??

Attached are two developments in Melbourne Australia that have been targeted at Hong Kong residents earlier this year. One in CBD and one in Doncaster. The prices appear to be reasonable to me. Are you telling me that Australian's in Australia can get the SAME properties at cheaper prices?

My opinion is that buying locally from a real estate agent will give you more variety, options and choices, maybe something cheaper nearby and from the secondary market rather than a new development. Also I think most Australians don't want to live in apartments like this anyway, they like their big open spaces. They also like to build their own houses and not buy off the plan from some developer. So that's why they laugh at people buying these kinds of apartments. But I do not believe you can get the same property any cheaper just by being in Australia. The developers have a price list and they generally stick to it.

But if you have any evidence to support your statement then lets hear it, otherwise I think you don't really know what you are talking about.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast