Like Tree1Likes

Alibaba IPO

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Schwab says they can only talk to me about IPOs via the telephone. email, etc not OK, according to Schwab's interpretation of US law/regulation.
    Other broker has only possible secondary offerings, but not yet.
    I'm not into Alibaba.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Hong Kong & Singapore didn't want the dodgy preferential share nonsense. Rightly so. Leave these types of shenanigans to developing markets.
    Err, developing markets such as the US?

FWIW, WVR (Weighted Voting Rights) may be coming to HKEx too - HKEx News Release
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    FWIW, WVR (Weighted Voting Rights) may be coming to HKEx too - HKEx News Release
    Let's hope not. They should stay in the developing exchanges desperate for growth at any cost.

Err, developing markets such as the US?

Not going to happen unless / until they sort out better shareholder protection.

The reason split share classes work in the US is because there is better shareholder protection, such as the provision for class actions and more disclosure requirements.

What I think will happen in the US with Alibaba is that while the times are good no-one is going to do / say anything, but at any point if there are problems with the company there are going to be many many shareholder actions against the company.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Let's hope not. They should stay in the developing exchanges desperate for growth at any cost.
    I'm not sure I consider the NYSE to be a developing exchange...

I'm not sure I consider the NYSE to be a developing exchange...
    To East_coast it is.