Like Tree16Likes

Personal recommendations for solicitors to write a will

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Personal recommendations for solicitors to write a will

I have looked through the other posts and they all seem to be old.

Can anyone give any recommendations for solicitors or firms to write a will based on their personal experience?

Thanks

Send you personal message. please check

Can you let me know as well? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks

[QUOTE=lingc;3086181]Can you let me know
    Sent you a personal message

lingc likes this.

I was hoping to get some personal descriptions of the service and their level of satisfaction from different firms. Any personal descriptions would be great! Thanks.

Bumping this up.

Any recommendations for how to go about getting a will written? Any ideas roughly how much it costs?

No children involved, but my husband and I are both foreigners in Hong Kong and each of us from different countries and have families in those countries that would be entitled to some parts of our small "wealth". I think we just need a basic document about our finances and wishes (physical) should we die sooner rather than later. Would it be useful to make identical wills notarized in our respective home countries, too? So if we move in the future the will can go with us so to say?

Travelling to places like Nepal shortly before their recent earthquake puts this in perspective. :/

Thanks for the replies.

I don't know how to answer those initial questions. We got married in a country we have no assets in, and I'm not sure we will live there again (thanks Brexit). To be clear, it's my partner that has assets, although in the event I die "unexpectedly" I would like that things are in place for him to easily take over my accounts, etc. Right now, if *he* dies unexpectedly I worry I won't be able to manage initially because I cannot afford rent/living expenses here in Hong Kong on my own, and it would be an awfully trying time. I have no idea what the HK laws are in this case and if I would even have any legal right to his assets. But to be honest (and this is the difficult thing to say...), the thing I worry most about in this case is family conflicts w/family abroad. There are some assets also in that country with the family, but I'm more concerned about in this terrible situation how we can best have our ducks lined up legally to make things as painless as possible.

Sounds like I don't need to do anything in my home country (unless we reside there in the future). But we need to do something in HK and my partner in his home country?
    sure, those recommendations would be welcomed. When you do get it done, please share if you gain some advice/suggestions.

By the way, I had a friend whose husband died of cancer. So they had time and she was thereafter well taken care of. Few years later, she died suddenly of a heart aneurysm, leaving her teenaged son orphaned. We were all needless to say profoundly shocked. Really, don't wait for these things! Make sure your family is taken care of!

chuckster007 likes this.

You can own property together so that if one dies it goes to the other.

For banking, I remember that you can set up beneficary and percentage directly with the bank.

A will is only good if people know you have it and have access to it. And if there is a family dispute, a will can only do so much before lawyers take it all.

Elegiaque likes this.

Thanks MandM, I think directing a beneficiary with the bank might be the best thing and what I'm thinking of.

Can't have much jointly owned because I'm American. :/

Be very very very very very careful about some of the advice given. I've not heard of "directing a beneficiary to a bank".

What I'd do is draw up a list of assets in any country - simple if everything is in HK. But you should include bank accounts, both individual and joint and then let the solicitor figure out for you.

Now my question:

A few days ago, someone far more knowledgeable in these matters told me that a joint bank account is likely to get frozen pending probate. Has anyone else been told this?

I have not researched the probate process in Hong Kong, but I assume that "joint accounts" are normal and should not be an area of major concern.

TheBrit and Elegiaque like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast