RTL / Permanent Residency and Stamp Duty

Closed Thread

RTL / Permanent Residency and Stamp Duty

I think the answer is pretty clear, but I wanted to double check that RTL does not count as PR for the purposes of this 15% buyer's stamp duty? Thanks

So answering my own question RTL definitely doesn't count as HKPR for stamp duty purposes.

Has anyone seen any policies or taxes that differentiate between Chinese Citizens and non-Chinese Citizens? It seems not so far

I think that's challenging because a lot of non-Chinese have been born here and lived here their whole life. Would they ever differentiate between mainland and non-mainland?

Quote Originally Posted by statman:
    Yes, this is a bit extreme. I was hoping to buy sometime in the next few months to avoid paying rent but as I've only been living here for 2.5 years then the new measures rule this out. However, looking on the positive side, they do say that they will consider removing this restriction once the market returns to normal so this could help keep people like myself out of the market until prices return to more sane levels (I hope!).

I would be amazed if prices don't start to go down now after these measures but my worry is that rents in the typical expat market may increase as landlords know that most expats have virtually no choice but to rent until they get PR status.

Time to get saving those pennies ready for the restrictions to be eased I think!
    Has there been any press around potential changes to BSD now that we are 2.5 years on from this?