Like Tree5Likes

Vanguard S&P 500 ETF

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vanguard S&P 500 ETF

Seems like a decent, very passive, low cost investment. Nothing fancy, long term, low cost.

Thoughts?

Vanguard launches first S&P 500 ETF listed in HK

https://www.vanguard.com.hk/portal/a...-500-index.htm

I made money off my previous vanguard ETF, combined with their low management fees I'm a fan

pin likes this.

Obviously too soon to have data on the vanguard fund, but data from some similar funds:
    Name:  3qWtJeg.png
Views: 2610
Size:  85.5 KB

And some other ETFs to look at:
    Name:  OEeWjmw.png
Views: 2567
Size:  158.3 KB

This only concerns folks who cannot or do not want to trade on USA platforms. Since i can trade in USA and choose this fund, if wanted, there is no need for me to concern myself.
    I understand that if you do not live in USA, or have some kind of identity there, then opening a USA brokerage account may be difficult.
    Vangard known for low fees, always a good sign.

If you like Vanguard's S&P 500 ETF why don't you get the American listed version VOO which has an even cheaper expense ratio of 0.05%? Though depends on which broker you're with as trading US equities may cost you more.

But then if you prefer VOO then perhaps get VTI, Vanguard's Total (US) Stock Market ETF, as that includes some mid and small cap stocks as well for the same very cheap expense ratio of 0.05%?

Not sure if this is applicable to ETFs... but it's my understanding that for US-listed stocks you have to pay tax on the dividends. But if this ETF is listed in HK, does that mean that dividends are not taxed? Or is the tax implicitly absorbed into the level of the fund? Anybody know how that works?

Hello,
    new to Hk and new to trading. Where could I buy S&P 500 shares. Bank? broker? Any help. Thanks.

Original Post Deleted
    Agreed, it's a great deal for the consumer - I am holding one of the vanguard ETF's.. Not sure about the long term though.
    @personinhk to answer your Q of where to buy, I recommend buying an ETF via your bank or any of the big brokers.
    Reading between the lines - don't buy from any of those 'fund managers' with british accents!

Quote Originally Posted by 441211:
    Not sure if this is applicable to ETFs... but it's my understanding that for US-listed stocks you have to pay tax on the dividends. But if this ETF is listed in HK, does that mean that dividends are not taxed? Or is the tax implicitly absorbed into the level of the fund? Anybody know how that works?
    There is a difference between listed and domiciled, same as with companies.
    The tax rate of its domicile applies.
    US 30%, mostly, for Investors residing in HK
    If you move to big China it's 10% as they have a tax treaty with US and a reduced withholding rate

Thanks,
    Again, I am a novice at this...probably lower. Question: is the 3140 the same as the S&P500. In other words, if I just opened up a trading account with Hang Seng and they have the 3140 for me to buy. If I buy this, am i purchasing the S&P500? Explain. Thank you.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast