Like Tree18Likes

Exceptional opportunity in Australia

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Liked:
    Thanks Eli. Of all those I have seen so far, I like this one best:

The Address - Join the Community

I am thinking of going down to Melbourne in a couple of weeks and visit different sites and decide whether to buy a house or not. I dont really want to buy a retirement home, but more a residential home where I can grow old.

Thanks again!
    With the extra stamp duty being introduced in Victoria on July 1 for foreign buyers, try and buy before then in order to save $$$. You'll probably have two contracts - one for the land and one for the construction of the house. I would suggest liaising with stockies and a few builders before heading over, so when you arrive there's less work to do and easier to make a decision, whether to buy or not.

Here's a recent article on the stamp duty increase for foreigners.
    shri likes this.

For those who see bears in Oz, exceptional opportunity in...

Quote Originally Posted by Hurtmesome:
    For those who see bears in Oz, exceptional opportunity in...
    That's an old stock photo... PS2 really?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    That's an old stock photo... PS2 really?
    https://m.facebook.com/events/1575876799344125/?ref=98

tell them Hurt Sahib sended you. You get goood price, my friend

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Am a charitable case. Please PM me.
    No such thing as a banker in need of charity

I would suggest you steer clear of any type of " managed " investments or retirement centres. They all appear calm and pleasant on the outside, but it is the usual story where you should not let other people manage your money as it ultimately leads to loss in one form or another. Buy your own property close to transport or shopping services. I have heard many sad stories of when people want to sell out of these retirement centres or pass away., the process becomes very messy and will cost the families a large sum.

shri and Skyhook like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeeblender:
    I would suggest you steer clear of any type of " managed " investments or retirement centres. They all appear calm and pleasant on the outside, but it is the usual story where you should not let other people manage your money as it ultimately leads to loss in one form or another. Buy your own property close to transport or shopping services. I have heard many sad stories of when people want to sell out of these retirement centres or pass away., the process becomes very messy and will cost the families a large sum.
    Yes, thanks. I am not looking for a retirement village. What I am looking for is a normal house that I rent out until I retire, and then I move in mortgage-free and finish raising my kids, and keep living in (healthily and happily) until I die, hopefully with my kids living nearby, so I can help raise grand kids. I am going to Melbourne in a couple of months, meet some friends (I do have one or two) who introduce me to the various neighborhoods and then I select the best house. You can get a big house with garden in the suburbs for HKS 2-3 m, which in HK is enough for a 200 sq. ft. flat!

That's the plan!

Yes..that sounds a good plan. The Sydney market and Melbourne market are both gaining traction now so be careful not to over pay....Do some research into prices and make sure you buy at the right price. I believe Australia is in another property growth phase of the next few years as the market flat lined last few years due to low mining prices etc. Maybe look at Perth as it has really come back a lot due to the downturn in mining. And as we know..if you have the guts to buy in a down market..... you will do well on the upside. Its all cyclical.

Last edited by Coffeeblender; 03-06-2015 at 05:18 AM. Reason: spelling error