Like Tree2Likes

Purchasing Property

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Purchasing Property

Hi,

I am new here and not sure where to post this.

I have been married to a Hong Kongnese for 17years and would like to buy some properties in HK.

To be frank, I do not want to share ownership rights with my husband as the properties are wholely paid by me.

I wonder if this is possible?

Thank you

Since you are married your husband will get an equitable share of the property no matter who owns it on paper. Unless you have a prenup.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Since you are married your husband will get an equitable share of the property no matter who owns it on paper. Unless you have a prenup.
    Two different scenarios - one, you get a divorce in which case indeed the spouse gets a share, but does so whether it is cash or property. Two, someone comes after your spouse for money - in this case, it apparently does make a difference (for further details, please contact Mrs. Rafael Hui...)
    scumbag likes this.

Your money, you decide whos name you want in the ownership

I don't have any pre-nup, so can I just use my son's name instead? he is 16.

My husband have had an affair in the past.

I don't have any pre-nup, so can I just use my son's name instead? he is 16.

My husband have had an affair in the past.

No, you cannot use a minor. You could set up a trust, or a BVI company, but you will have to pay additional tax in that case.

How much tax am I looking at here? percentage range?

My son/ Our son will be 17 this August, that will still be considered as minor?

J'adore Sushi,

I don't know whether you are implying that your husband has no knowledge of your intention to purchase property (it may be a figment of my over active imagination). If so you may be able to (at least on the surface) conceal ownership by setting up a company or trust as as Mrgoodkat has suggested but in the event of a formal divorce I suspect it wouldn't take much to uncover the beneficial owners.

If confidentiality is not an issue then 100% foreign ownership is allowed - if you are a Permanent HKID Holder I believe that the initial stamp duty is less than simply a foreign national but if I am incorrect I am sure there will be a list of posters below this post correcting me.

Your son cannot legally own property in his own right until he is 18.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast