Like Tree12Likes

Insurance fraud question

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

What kind of insurance is this? The letter says the incident was UNFORESEEN and the lady upstairs was not NEGLIGENT, which may be true but these points are irrelevent. The whole purpose of insurance is typically to cover unforeseen events and accidents, and ones that are typically NOT CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE. The fact the event was unforeseen and not negligent should FURTHER SUPPORT the argument that the insurance company should payout for this. It's the whole fucking point of most insurance policies. What insurance company is this and what type of crazy insurance is it? What kind of fucked up insurance company writes letters saying we are not covering the incident since it was unforeseen and not negligent? Some policies might not cover floods, typhoons, other acts of god etc but to refuse a claim because it was unforeseen and NOT negligent is the dumbest thing I have heard in a very long time.

jrkob likes this.

Name the insurer?

Don't you have fire and other damage insurance if you are the owner? Speak with your insurance company and let them resolve it.

Also, just record the evidence with the management company and be prepared to take the upstairs owner to small claims.

Insurance is a joke here. They try everything to not pay. It's a game and they will bury your in paperwork, meetings and responses.

AIA is bad. Had a friend with travel insurance through HSBC think it was either AIA or AXA. They had things stollen overseas and it was a pita to make a claim, in the end they gave up.

Sorry for the delay in writing. The insurance company is QBE, which I had never heard of. Please find the complete letter attached. Now I wouldnt encourage anybody to upload it on social media

What I find weird is that they come up with such a ridiculous excuse.

Shall I even reply to this letter, since my claim is with the woman? Or shall I just pursue this with the woman and sue her if she doesnt want to pay?

Not on your level, my previous experiences with travel insurance have actually been not that bad.

Ours is QBE, via Hang Seng Bank. We've previously been able to claim water damaged mobile phones and an extra night's hotel stay (up to the insurance maximum, which admittedly didn't cover the entire stay) (these claims were on separate occasions). We found QBE to be generally on the ball and got things done reasonably efficiently.

However, saying that, these cases were probably a bit more simple than water pipe leakage. The whole point of insurance is that you get "a thing providing protection against a possible eventuality".

Based on posters views here, insurance companies here seem to try and wiggle their way out of paying anything (but then again that is how insurance companies do make their money).

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Insurance is a joke here. They try everything to not pay. It's a game and they will bury your in paperwork, meetings and responses.

AIA is bad. Had a friend with travel insurance through HSBC think it was either AIA or AXA. They had things stollen overseas and it was a pita to make a claim, in the end they gave up.
    insurance claims require prima facie evidence to substantiate any claim, regardless of where the insurance was purchase, they follow similar procedures

it's noted that the coverage is specified in the certificate of insurance and according to the terms and conditions

@shri, can you change the title of this thread. Insurance fraud is not really the topic here. Maybe insurance headaches and procedures.
    @imparanoic, my experiences insurance wise is that HK is much more thorough and it's the claimant vs the insurer. Even though the claimant might be the client of the insurer, they appear as enemies. I've known of claims in the states before, when someone side swiped a car, simply called the police and received a report number immediately over the phone, didn't need to wait for police, took car for estimate and other party insurance company mailed a check. Simple. Of course the check is probably 50 cents on the dollar and they will reimburse after you submit works completed or you can keep the cash. Another experience with car broken into, it was so messy, didn't even know the proper name of missing items, they used eBay and searched for like items, again end up with 50 cents on the dollar but no paperwork, receipts or anything. Here I think you'd be screwed without all the papers and they require in person meetings, time off work, receipts, bank account statements to prove how you paid for it. Not exactly sure how it all works but from what I hear, it's a pita and you get screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    @shri, can you change the title of this thread. Insurance fraud is not really the topic here. Maybe insurance headaches and procedures.
    @imparanoic, my experiences insurance wise is that HK is much more thorough and it's the claimant vs the insurer. Even though the claimant might be the client of the insurer, they appear as enemies. I've known of claims in the states before, when someone side swiped a car, simply called the police and received a report number immediately over the phone, didn't need to wait for police, took car for estimate and other party insurance company mailed a check. Simple. Of course the check is probably 50 cents on the dollar and they will reimburse after you submit works completed or you can keep the cash. Another experience with car broken into, it was so messy, didn't even know the proper name of missing items, they used eBay and searched for like items, again end up with 50 cents on the dollar but no paperwork, receipts or anything. Here I think you'd be screwed without all the papers and they require in person meetings, time off work, receipts, bank account statements to prove how you paid for it. Not exactly sure how it all works but from what I hear, it's a pita and you get screwed.
    as long you have evidence for the claimed item, then it's not rocket science to process a claim, most claims are simply done online or via email and fax ( or even better , both for thoroughness) , unless you are making a HK$30,000 or higher claim, but it's noted that larger ( especially multi-national ones) companies are quite pedantic for procedure while smaller companies are so much easier to use

yes, certain claims require certain conditions, car broken in ( which is rare in HK, but common in UK, - twice for me) police report & prove of value or ownership of the claimed item,

or in the case of a medical claim, probably pre-authorisation for routine operations, and the receipt of operation

Qbe is an Australian insurance form. Very large and reputable in Aus.processed a claim of mine in Aus fine. This letter though is ludicrous ! Had same view as bdw.

imparanoic likes this.