Like Tree15Likes

BSD - Solving Hong Kong's Housing Problem?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Property speculation should be discouraged in any society that cares about it's citizens...it will always end up with most of the property in the hands of a few...read your history books, it never ends well.

Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmat:
    The government needs to penalise people for holding on to more than 1 flat.
    If people are penalized for holding more than 1 flat, then they will offset that to the rents if they rent out thus forcing renters to pay more. Not that good
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHairy:
    Property speculation should be discouraged in any society that cares about it's citizens...it will always end up with most of the property in the hands of a few...read your history books, it never ends well.
    You can tell most about a culture/people by how it treats its old.

In Hong Kong, a fair number of its old have to collect cardboard, just to make very basic ends meet. No comfort whatsoever .

Hong Kong should do what Holland is doing, where they house university students in old age homes for free rent. The students help the elderly and do leisure activities etc with them.

Helps develop some human contact ie conscience and awareness of the elderly. The elderly also benefit from the social interaction, enjoying the company.

But unfortunately things like looking after the elderly, and developers providing a % of their development to public housing, is just not how things work in an Asiaphoria mentality. It's about profit, not people.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 13-10-2016 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cminds:
    If people are penalized for holding more than 1 flat, then they will offset that to the rents if they rent out thus forcing renters to pay more. Not that good
    I'm no commie...but there are certain things...water/food/shelter/transport/etc...that warrant heavy state regulation. Let maximum rents be determined by the state...

It sounds radical...but I believe a system that allows wealthy landlords to artificially inflate the prices across the board needs to be stopped...
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cminds:
    Put capital gains taxes on properties that are not your primary residence:
    - less overseas investment from people who don't live here
    - less incentive to leave properties empty purely for capital gains. People will be chasing rental yield instead.
    - there would be no additional running costs that landlords will try to offset
    TheBrit, bdw and shri like this.

This city just doesn't know when to stop.... There doesn't seem to be any restraint. Just an attitude of, more, more, I want more!

It's sickening to see it at this level.

I wouldn't mind so much if wages increased at the same rate that property has... But that isn't the case..

Last edited by Skyhook; 13-10-2016 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fatmat:
    BSD isn't working - prices are still going up.

The government needs to increase housing supply both public and private.

The government needs to penalise people for holding on to more than 1 flat.

The government needs to penalise real estate companies for holding onto vacant land and not do anything with it.

The government should force real estate companies to build public housing adjacent to private housing as a condition when buying land

The government should reduce the number of mainland immigrants - limit is 150 a day now!

When there is a limited supply of homes in HK, buying homes for investment purposes needs to be discouraged.

Sure the property market will crash, but the majority of HKers would love to see this happen
    The 'Government' does not care. This is Hong Kong, China.
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    This city just doesn't know when to stop.... There doesn't seem to be any restraint. Just an attitude of, more, more, I want more!

It's sickening to see it at this level.

I wouldn't mind so much if wages increased at the same rate that property has... But that isn't the case..
    I rarely participate in discussions on this site but I tend to read most of the posts here.

@Skyhook I've read a lot of your posts on most threads and you seem to really dislike Hong Kong and rarely do I see you write anything positive about being here.

I wanted to ask, and this is a serious question, why don't you leave?
    TheBrit likes this.

Determining the rate of housing supply should be taken away from the executive branch of government.

As the only key monetary policy in the city how much land is freed-up to build housing should be in the hands of technocrats not those with vested interests.

The executive branch should set the long term goals for housing e.g.70% home ownership, affordability target, 30m2 per person.

The independent technocratic department should set the target by district and the district councils should convert the land for use.

The current system is far too centralised resulting a cosy relationship between the executive branch and the large businesses it needs to secure votes in the CE nominating committee.

The system is broken so the system needs changing.

HK should adopt Singapore's model... stop selling land to property developers and build more public housing instead at cost + % and implement strict controls over ownership. The real problem with the property market is that there's no choice. The government should just build more public housing (preferably nicer) at cost + a % instead of selling more land to property developers.