Like Tree14Likes

Investment ideas for the New Year

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    You OK sending it to others? If so, I will PM you.

Also @cookie09 are you a Swiss national to be able to invest in a Swiss roboinvestor?

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    are you a Swiss national to be able to invest in a Swiss roboinvestor?
    let's just say that i have found my way around to be able to do it. helps to speak the language of course.

If you're into ETFs, check out a friend of mine's new firm he has just launched - https://etfmomentuminvesting.com/pages/about-us

He had worked for 10+ years or so with Lord Abbot, Guggenheim as a wholesaler and about a year ago quit with the idea of getting something of his own going. I think he just "opened for business" this past week or so, but does share all his trends if you're interested to just take a look...

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    let's just say that i have found my way around to be able to do it. helps to speak the language of course.
    As in French or investment speak?

I read on some expat investing site (https://andrewhallam.com/) that investing in US domiciled funds can expose your heirs to a steep estate tax. Would this be true with investments in your average US ETFs?

I'm just not looking at individual stocks at this point, having badly underperformed the market after years of buying stocks. Seem to be significant negatives with all major fund options:

US ETFs - withholding tax, possibly estate tax
    HK ETFs - limited selection, low liquidity, higher fees than in US
    Active funds - high fees, mostly underperforming

Original Post Deleted
    - can you share again the asset classes which benefit from US tax exemptions? Also, I assume the all-in tax rate depends on citizenship. How do I find out my all-in tax rate?

There are also universal life insurance products that have tax benefits. They don't make sense for the vast majority of U.S. investors since 401k/IRA is more efficient. Can be an option though given the right circumstances (especially for foreign investors without access to other tax vehicles).

What's also important to understand is the difference between stock companies listed in the U.S.
    and elsewhere versus U.S. stock companies listed in the U.S. and elsewhere...

universal life is more to tackle the estate tax issue, not the income tax part that are usually handled by the various pension schemes in the world like MPF/CPF/401k etc.

STAY the heck away from any so called investment products that are dressed up as insurance policies.

The fees will ruin you.