Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mat

Accessible parking spaces - What's the point?

Closed Thread

Accessible parking spaces - What's the point?

What's the point of estates having accessible parking spaces when they are owned by individuals?

I've seen new estates, even houses, whereby a house has the only accessible parking space. Why even bother to put these in the estates if they are privately owned?

Or is there some rule or common decency that if one needed the space that they would trade/swap spaces to help the person in need?

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Or is there some rule or common decency that if one needed the space that they would trade/swap spaces to help the person in need?
    I'm a little confused by your question. Of course there is "common decency" to rent out a parking spot to "help the person in need".

Yes but what if the spaces are all full.

What if you own the space (maybe it's the one assigned to the flat or what not), you have a car, then what?

or if the space is in your private garage?

I'm very confused by both your question and your post. Do you mean to say that, "What's the point in carparks in public estates if they can be bought by individuals and rented/sold like private property?"

If that's the case, I'm guessing the government is more focused on providing more public transportation options than affordable parking spaces in public estates, especially when vehicle ownership can be considered a luxury in low-income housing projects.

I'm referring to accessible or handicap parking spaces in private housing.

It seems to me that they have it just to fulfil a quota but I'm not sure logistically how it works for someone who is handicap unless they own the particular house where the handicap space is.

Oh, I understand now. Dunno, have you looked at the law? But have you ever tried getting around HK on wheels (or with something on wheels)? City is not at all friendly to those with disabilities. Comes from both lack of regulation as well as inconsiderate citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Oh, I understand now. Dunno, have you looked at the law? But have you ever tried getting around HK on wheels (or with something on wheels)? City is not at all friendly to those with disabilities. Comes from both lack of regulation as well as inconsiderate citizens.
    It's not very friendly but lot more than many major euro cities - just due to the fact that sidewalks in Paris for example...are a nightmare for wheels.
    Elegiaque likes this.

I've tried getting around HK in a wheelchair. It's hard but easier than many other places because of public transport and taxis. You can travel entirely alone on a bus with a wheelchair . Most busses have a ramp.that they let down to wheel on. Not fun but possible. Better than when I was in a wheelchair for a while in Melbourne. What's amazing is how few you actually see on buses etc.