Like Tree15Likes

Global Dividend Stock Portfolio & Taxes

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

It's ok. The problem is that I don't have time to look at the tax conditions of each individual share. I have limited time beyond working and spending time with my family. So, what to do?

Thank you. Does it say in the companies websites how much the withhold tax will be? I guess not, since it depends on individual buyers' residence? Otherwise, is there a site where I can find out? Right now I have 27 shares, so I can easily check, but where? If I need to buy each share and wait for the dividend, it means waiting for several months.

Since you are a dividend investor (like Morrison and myself), do you mind sharing some ideas of companies? No need to say why you bought them, I will check myself whether they suit me.

I am not planning to retire in Europe, but depending on my retirement plan in 10-15 years time, I can always sell, so I can't plan ahead so much.

By the way, as a dividend investor, what is a dividend you are happy with? 4%? 5%? 6%?

As I said, check whether there is a tax treaty with HK and find out the rate.
    You can download the treaties as PDF and then run a keyword search.

as to stock recommendations, I won't disclose my holdings as I want to buy more cheaply.
    Just check which offer low to almost zero withholding tax.

% before or after tax ?
    It depends on many factors
    on the dividend growth history and my opportunity cost.
    And the amount of time and mental work I have to put into this other business opp.
    I.e. Capital gains from stock trades.
    Lastly, a realistic trading range, some stocks just trade within a range, offering you 4-6% after tax. Some just don't reach that but have more net assets than their market cap.

So it''s more 5-6% for me, after tax. Because trading is serious work and I have better things to do with my life.

Just read the thread jrkob mentioned, and many good books on top of that

Thanks. You can also PM me your top pics. Haha.

6% after tax is very high. I have an average of 4.8% before tax.

Last edited by Jeff_; 03-02-2017 at 03:25 PM.

pics is the plural of pic(ture)

It took me a while to figure out what you want...

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    pics is the plural of pic(ture)

It took me a while to figure out what you want...
    But I still have no PM...

and don't forget the currency risks involved with your 27 stocks.

jrkob likes this.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate both your efforts in helping me out here.

Many wise words there. I will have to put effort into finding out the tax rates for the different shares I have.

I don't understand the secrecy about your favourite shares. My favourite shares, if anybody is interested (dividends are at current prices, so not the same I bought them):

VTX:ZURN (div. 6.45%)
    NYSE:OHI (7.61%)
    LON:VOD (5.95%)
    LON:MXF (6.77%)
    LON:PHNX (7.03%)
    LON:SSE (6.01%)
    ASX:WBC (5.96%)
    ASX:NSR (6.25%)

Others have lower yield, but regular growth (e.g. NYSE:O and VTX:NESN).

Thanks again.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    and don't forget the currency risks involved with your 27 stocks.
    Yes, this is why I want to buy stocks in different currencies. I think I have too much US$ right now (about 1/4, another 1/4 in CHF). I have little faith in the US economy, and I think the GBP and especially the Euro are undervalued right now, so I am looking for more high dividend shares in Euro. Any tips?

OK, but of course I wouldn't buy shares blindly. Anyway, I will do some digging!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast