Like Tree25Likes

Invest 20K HKD a month

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Invest 20K HKD a month

Hi All,

I'm doing some budgeting and I should have an extra income of 20K HKD every month.
    I used to live in EU before and normally I would put them in a savings deposit, but in HK there is no such a thing/they are quite crappy.

Hence my question, what should I do? I have to admit I never "invested" before so 'my risk appetite is quite low.
    Ideally I would like to diversify a bit following 50% in something very safe, 35% in something a bit more risky and 15% in something risky.

Any ideas? I am with CitiBank hence some recommendations on how to operate with that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Not sure if Citibank do something similar but HSBC do a monthly stock savings plan. You could pick 7 or 8 blu chip high dividend yielding stocks and purchase shares every month. It works out at average pricing so some months you may be buying high but other months you may be buying low. It's a way of saving capital that offers a little initial income stream that will grow exponentially.

Found this, bit old, but might be of use. I have no idea who Jack Bogle is though

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/vie...p?f=1&t=148846

joanfung likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Found this, bit old, but might be of use. I have no idea who Jack Bogle is though

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/vie...p?f=1&t=148846
    He 'invented' mutual funds. He also started Vanguard. His 'proper' name is John Bogle.
    pin and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    Not sure if Citibank do something similar but HSBC do a monthly stock savings plan. You could pick 7 or 8 blu chip high dividend yielding stocks and purchase shares every month. It works out at average pricing so some months you may be buying high but other months you may be buying low. It's a way of saving capital that offers a little initial income stream that will grow exponentially.
    This. Although I might also include an index tracking fund as one of your options.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    He 'invented' mutual funds. He also started Vanguard. His 'proper' name is John Bogle.
    Ah useful to know, I have a few Vanguard ETFs here. They are pretty cheap on the fees. Jack / John, all the same to me.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    This. Although I might also include an index tracking fund as one of your options.
    Yep I have 2800 in my selections.

jrkob likes this.

Is it difficult to withdraw from these programmes when you need the money back?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Ah useful to know, I have a few Vanguard ETFs here. They are pretty cheap on the fees. Jack / John, all the same to me.
    I didn't mean it like that. Just that it's useful to know his name if you are searching for books by him. Also the Bogleheads forum.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast