Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree21Likes

Best credit card in HK?

I've found upgrading premium economy to business on long haul is the most cost effective way to use miles.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    I've found upgrading premium economy to business on long haul is the most cost effective way to use miles.
    Yes but unfortunately only if you pay full fare tickets same for Economy to Premium.
    Recently tried to do that but a full Economy ticket was more expensive than the cheapest Premium so there was no point.

It pretty much boils down to preference for each person. Airmiles are useless to those who never fly. I'd rather have more trips than travel in Business class. Some just want cashback. Others want deals in their favourite hop, etc. The OP really has to decide what works best for his life. If he can narrow that down first, his choice will become much easier.

I have a family of 4 with 2.5 months of vacation a year so we have a flexible destination schedule. Airmiles suit us very well.

z754103 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    Ah ok. Re-reading HSBC website I think the Visa Signature gives minimum 0.4% cashback on all spending, then 1.2% cash back on 5 categories (not all as I first thought), then 3.6% cash back on 1 category. Still, how many categories are there? 5 must cover the majority of your spending, no?
    bdw, I am looking at the details of this HSBC Visa Signature card.
    There are only 6 categories (Dining, Entertainment, Home, Lifestyle, China Spendings and Overseas Spendings) and yes, you're right, these cover almost all my expenses.

Problem is that what the generic marketing as trumpeted by HSBC on their website doesn't say and which you can only find in the fine prints of the full T&Cs, is that the additional 1.2% and 3.6% are for "All Eligible Transactions made at the designated merchants in this category". Meaning not "all merchants in this category".

Basically I spend at the wrong places.

In fact, this is an enormous mess, the list of designated merchants is not even on HSBC's website, it's on Visa's website. Not only that, but it seems to be a moving target. However... I found a little gem digging these merchants. Look, with this card, you get a nice 200/1500=13.3% off on your Park'nShop bill from 1-Mar to 30-Apr if you spend 1500$ in one go (offer can be used an unlimited number of times). This one is quite valuable and I intend to use it tomorrow on a Mouton Cadet bulk purchase ! But this really involves digging Visa's website.

Thank you for making me look into this bdw, no way I would have done that without you !

Name:  HSBC Visa Signature promo.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  105.5 KB
    bdw and Edward B like this.

bdw

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    bdw, I am looking at the details of this HSBC Visa Signature card.
    There are only 6 categories (Dining, Entertainment, Home, Lifestyle, China Spendings and Overseas Spendings) and yes, you're right, these cover almost all my expenses.

Problem is that what the generic marketing as trumpeted by HSBC on their website doesn't say and which you can only find in the fine prints of the full T&Cs, is that the additional 1.2% and 3.6% are for "All Eligible Transactions made at the designated merchants in this category". Meaning not "all merchants in this category".

Basically I spend at the wrong places.

In fact, this is an enormous mess, the list of designated merchants is not even on HSBC's website, it's on Visa's website. Not only that, but it seems to be a moving target. However... I found a little gem digging these merchants. Look, with this card, you get a nice 200/1500=13.3% off on your Park'nShop bill from 1-Mar to 30-Apr if you spend 1500$ in one go (offer can be used an unlimited number of times). This one is quite valuable and I intend to use it tomorrow on a Mouton Cadet bulk purchase ! But this really involves digging Visa's website.

Thank you for making me look into this bdw, no way I would have done that without you !

Name:  HSBC Visa Signature promo.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  105.5 KB
    Quite typical of HSBC to make things overly complicated and impossible to measure. Still, it does sound like a pretty good card if your able to get on average 1.7% cash back.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    Quite typical of HSBC to make things overly complicated and impossible to measure. Still, it does sound like a pretty good card if your able to get on average 1.7% cash back.
    Just did a comparison for @jrkob in a private discussion. It seems the Asia mile card has a diminishing return for booking lower airfare classes and if the person uses a cashback card and goes with the cheapest alternative airline (which may not be a direct flight) they may end up being better off.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234