Like Tree14Likes

Buying cryptocurrency from HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

For ETH, try gatecoin.com

FWIW, I'm not recommending, purely pointing you to an option. I had a disappointing experience with them. Wired them money to buy some BTC when it dropped to ~920 a few weeks ago. Wire was stuck in their bank and finally rejected after a week of not knowing where my money was. They had problems with their bank (which they claim is fixed now). BTC rose like 15% in that week my money was stuck so I didn't bother buying. Now it's trading at 1500

This might have nothing to do with them, it might have been their bank causing headaches. But I as a customer didn't appreciate not knowing where my wire was and they had no idea on their end.

OTOH, I have had successful dealings with ANX PRO but they don't sell ETH IIRC

Bitmex is my favourite bitcoin trading platform.

Experiences with Gatecoin

Hi UserDeleted and wayland,

We are sorry to hear that you had negative experiences with us earlier this year as a result of the issues we were having with our banking partners. As an FYI, these issues have now been resolved. If you have any more feedback about your experience with us we would welcome this.

Best Regards,
    The Gatecoin Team

I found Gatecoin via this thread, so decided to give it a whirl. Suffice to say that I deposited funds today (via HSBC express transfer) and the funds were in my Gatecoin account within a few hours.

Only difficulty was probably with HSBCs system:
    1. For HSBC you have to pay for Express Transfer (HKD55) to allow the attachment of a message (to identify your account).
    2. HSBC does not allow dashes within the message (to identify your account). So it needs to be replaced with a space (I had to contact Gatecoin support to check, they replied within a few hours)

Anyway, satisfied so far.

Quote Originally Posted by richs:
    I found Gatecoin via this thread, so decided to give it a whirl. Suffice to say that I deposited funds today (via HSBC express transfer) and the funds were in my Gatecoin account within a few hours.

Only difficulty was probably with HSBCs system:
    1. For HSBC you have to pay for Express Transfer (HKD55) to allow the attachment of a message (to identify your account).
    2. HSBC does not allow dashes within the message (to identify your account). So it needs to be replaced with a space (I had to contact Gatecoin support to check, they replied within a few hours)

Anyway, satisfied so far.
    Wow...$55!!! I've only been in HK for a month and it amazes me how expensive the fees are for online transactions are. Back in Malaysia, it's about HKD 0.15 for a 2 day transfer and HKD 0.75 for instant transfer. That being said, I regret not buying bitcoin to transfer all my money over last month.....I think it has gone from about USD1400 to USD2500

True Quantize. I hate it, in UK bank to bank is usually free. HKD55 is a rip off, and means you want to do higher value transfers to make the most of it. Annoying.

On the upside, I don't think there is any HK tax if you make a profit.

I'm using gatecoin, no problems so far but but I can't buy ETH, i can only buy BTC with HKD, i had to deposit EUR to buy ETH or do HKD -> BTC -> ETH

which is sad (fees everywhere!)

Speaking of gatecoin.com, I have been contacting their support team for 3 day to look into my bank transfer deposit. And I got none of the reply from them. I transferred $10000 hkd with my Hang seng bank account and plan to buy some btc.
    Anyone here please be aware of the amount of money you put to this website. I am only be waiting for their reply...It has been three days. They even put their phone number in atuo voice message..

Quote Originally Posted by gatecoin:
    Hi UserDeleted and wayland,

We are sorry to hear that you had negative experiences with us earlier this year as a result of the issues we were having with our banking partners. As an FYI, these issues have now been resolved. If you have any more feedback about your experience with us we would welcome this.

Best Regards,
    The Gatecoin Team
    Their customer support is terrible. I really hope they are still in operation..It is an expensive lesson to learn in my crytocurrency trading experience.

Due to the continued rally of bitcoin and ether prices, we have been overwhelmed by a surge in the number of customer support requests and bank transfers.

That being said all bank transfers are processed within 2 business days as are customer support requests.

If your transfer was initially sent outside of banking hours then you will need to take this into consideration regarding the processing time. Most likely the bank will only start processing this on the second day and it will take up to two business days for this to be received by our bank.

Spamming our customer support team with messages every few hours is not going to escalate your case.

Every major cryptocurrency exchange worldwide is now facing similar growing pains, just check the status updates of Kraken, Bitstamp, Coinbase etc. We are hiring additional customer support staff to help speed up the turn around time.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast