Like Tree81Likes

HSI - over 28000

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    So you have access to this modelling?

But at the end of the day it's your money and only you can decide what to do with it.
    my friends and I are trying to write one. not much progress though. too busy or too lazy. certain stocks are "easier", for example, pharma stocks with new drugs. you trade the volatility.

by the way, if anyone is interested in doing algo trading or modeling, R is the easiest language to use. search "quantmod" package. you can get all stock information easily and do whatever analysis you want. doesn't have to be too complicated. even 50d ma > 200d ma is meaningful. of course, python is good too, but imho harder for noobs to get into.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbler:
    my friends and I are trying to write one. not much progress though. too busy or too lazy. certain stocks are "easier", for example, pharma stocks with new drugs. you trade the volatility.
    So you are saying you think you can time or beat the market?
    TheBrit and jrkob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    So you are saying you think you can time or beat the market?
    me, no way lol. but should help making better decisions and better return. I am sure there are people beating the market though.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbler:
    me, no way lol. but should help making better decisions and better return. I am sure there are people beating the market though.
    It's hard to get enough of an edge on the market to cover trading costs. The one person I know doing this operates at a large scale and is only profitable because he has a seat on the exchange and pays a fraction of the costs that retail investors face. There's also the issue of latency, without colocated servers you're at a big disadvantage as an active trader.

On the TA front you may like 'Systematic Trading' by Robert Carver.
    Last edited by cendrillon; 14-01-2018 at 01:34 PM.
    TheBrit, Grumbler and shri like this.

yup, server cost, transaction fees, higher tax all eats into your profit. all I am saying is people shouldn't completely ignore analytics when trading. I actually invest the same way as everyone here lol. but doesn't hurt to get an edge over others.

Original Post Deleted
    true, but still depends on what your strategy is.

btw, good luck to everyone in 2018. happy trading. hope everyone makes a ton. my year started with a bang after jeff sessions crap on weed lol.

Another amazing day.

Quote Originally Posted by cendrillon:
    Another amazing day.
    Does not help that Google seems to have puked all over one of the ETFs ... gave me quite the shock when I opened up my portfolio after seeing this thread.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 4.40.34 PM.png
Views: 877
Size:  20.4 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 4.48.15 PM.png
Views: 883
Size:  15.1 KB
    Last edited by shri; 16-01-2018 at 04:48 PM.
    cendrillon likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13