Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By hullexile
  • 2 Post By HK_Katherine

What to expect for the pound?

Closed Thread

What to expect for the pound?

I have some share in pounds, because I want to diversify across currencies (I don't trust much Donald Trump, haha). What do you expect the pound to do, in the next 12-24 months? I read that some expect pound-Euro to reach parity. Is that realistic? I has already dropped considerably since 2014. Is a further drop likely?

Pound has been weakening steadily against the Euro since May 2017... was 1.197... down to 1.075 at one point yesterday... yes I think it'll reach parity - but who knows what's going to happen with any FX pair, open to so many different influences

Look at what the doomsayers expect, then look at what the eternal optimists expect. And the answer is usually around the middle.

For these more stable currencies and economies, it will take something apocalyptic for them to collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    Look at what the doomsayers expect, then look at what the eternal optimists expect. And the answer is usually around the middle.

For these more stable currencies and economies, it will take something apocalyptic for them to collapse.
    Like Brexit?
    Stu79 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Like Brexit?
    Brexit is not exactly apocalyptic. I mean more along the lines of a major world war where these countries would be pretty much turned into warzones - no or little economy and trade, money is near worthless etc.

I think Brexit will just be short term pain. It may not be great for the UK like the "out" group promised, but UK won't collapse like the "in" group argue. So... it will end up somewhere in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    Brexit is not exactly apocalyptic. I mean more along the lines of a major world war where these countries would be pretty much turned into warzones - no or little economy and trade, money is near worthless etc.

I think Brexit will just be short term pain. It may not be great for the UK like the "out" group promised, but UK won't collapse like the "in" group argue. So... it will end up somewhere in the middle.
    On current negotiations, it's either going to be a disaster, or if we are lucky it will look SO much like a disaster that someone will find a way to reverse the decision. I'm still hoping May is actually running a tactically clever operation to give her room to reverse. Sadly I think its more likely she really is an incompetent as it looks right now.
    dentarthurdent and East_coast like this.