Like Tree14Likes

Borrowing to invest...

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Newbie here
    isn't Tax Loan = Personal Loan? that you have to pay certain amount for certain months?
    please enlighten me if this means any other kind of unsecured loan

@Andy SNK Tax Loan = Lower interest then Personal Loan, you still pay back monthly a certain fixed amount.

Andy SNK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    @Andy SNK Tax Loan = Lower interest then Personal Loan, you still pay back monthly a certain fixed amount.
    If we have to payback monthly, how can we invest the Tax Loan?
    so it's not really borrowing to invest, isn't it?
    it's not like we borrow the money, invest it, then return it in full after certain period of time (e.g. 1 years or so)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy SNK:
    If we have to payback monthly, how can we invest the Tax Loan?
    so it's not really borrowing to invest, isn't it?
    it's not like we borrow the money, invest it, then return it in full after certain period of time (e.g. 1 years or so)
    I personally borrowed an amount whereby I can afford the repayments from my salary. So I no longer have any 'savings' as all my spare income goes to pay off this tax loan. But if you wanted to you could borrow more, then slowly pay back from whatever you invest in. For example, if you take out a $1m unit trust, there is a 1% fee up front when purchasing, but no fees for selling. So you could slowly sell a bit each month with no fees to slowly repay back the loan.
    Andy SNK likes this.

Newbie here
    isn't Tax Loan = Personal Loan? that you have to pay certain amount for certain months?
    please enlighten me if this means any other kind of unsecured loan
    You are getting a large lump sum at a low interest rate, but with high monthly repayments.

The benefit is well, the large lump sum at a low interest rate, which you can invest immediately. Because the term is quite short (1 to 3 years) the repayments are quite high though.
    Andy SNK and jrkob like this.

Really appreciate the enlightenment! need to read more about unit trust, not familiar with that products

Really appreciate the enlightenment! need to read more about unit trust, not familiar with that products
    I have invested in Unit Trusts, but I would stay away. Stick to ETFs.

In fact I invested in this one:

https://geoexpat.com/forum/155/thread345175.html

I'm waiting a week or so and then will redeem it and put all the money in ETFs.
    Last edited by pin; 18-09-2017 at 06:08 PM.
    Andy SNK likes this.

Where do you buy your local stocks? Banks or broker? which one and why?
    hehehe.. learn something new everyday