Like Tree2Likes

Which Online Trading Platform to use?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Viv472:
    I feel comfortable with Hargreaves given its public status and regulations in the uk

Saxo platform is superb. My only issue is that it appears that the jurisdiction of shares held would be Netherlands / US/ Luxembourg for these firms which has tax and other implications as opposed to dbs / hsbc which are Singapore / Hk/ uk regulated banks. (Stockbrokers is a subsidiary of the bank ) and the shares are held in Hk.

I could be completely wrong ! Have asked Saxo Bank the question on jurisdiction but haven’t yet heard back.
    There is also HSBC Expat share dealing:

https://www.expat.hsbc.com/1/2/hsbc-...s/sharedealing

I don't know your circumstances, so do read the terms and exceptions.

Original Post Deleted

Yes of of course you are right, good point. If nothing else though might be easier to manage from here. But thanks for pointing this out

I have many times thought that there is an business opportunity to take one of the larger European brokerage platforms and introduce it in HK. They offer trading at VERY low costs in many markets worldwide through nice looking web-pages or phone apps, something that no local broker or bank manage to provide. Given the amount of money in this city, it could be a serious cash cow, but would need to get the Chinese on board of course and that could be trickier..

So does anyone have any feedback on Interactive Brokers aside from their $10pm charging for under $100k? Their platform seems good.

Our setup is interesting as we are UK citizens, living in Spain, with a company in HK and we are looking to invest via our HK company. We have global requirements for purchasing stocks across Australasia, Europe & the US.

Monex Boom were recommended but they dont seem to provide a global access platform and I dont want to have several platforms to keep track of? I really want something simple all on one platform with easy reporting for accounting!

IB will need a face to face interview for acct opening.

You should go for a platform provided by HSBC or SCB. Aren't too expensive, easy to manage your liquidity between accounts and relatively cheap. The apps are user friendly, though I believe SCB's is a little better than HSBC's. Both don't provide the best of execution services, but they will both serve your typical retail investor well.

"Our setup is interesting as we are UK citizens, living in Spain, with a company in HK and we are looking to invest via our HK company. We have global requirements for purchasing stocks across Australasia, Europe & the US."

OMG
    and they wonder why AEOI was set up

Quote Originally Posted by dynamco:
    "Our setup is interesting as we are UK citizens, living in Spain, with a company in HK and we are looking to invest via our HK company. We have global requirements for purchasing stocks across Australasia, Europe & the US."

OMG
    and they wonder why AEOI was set up
    I know what you mean, but I don't think it is that unusual.
    Most people on here are expats - personally I have lived and worked in 5 different countries over the past 20 years. I have - or had - bank and brokerage accounts in all of them.
    Recently that has become more difficult - especially since I moved to US.

I have been thinking of this setup also - a HK company whose only business would be to hold a brokerage account. It would not make tax reporting easier, but at least each time you move to a new country, the company would not change - and hopefully the broker/bank would not freak out.

I don't think it is a solution though - but would be interested to hear if anyone has experience they are willing to share.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    IB will need a face to face interview for acct opening.
    Was wrong about this. You can mail them certified documents. The face-to-face thing is just an ID check if you don't want to mail the document scans in.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Yet you are fine with using a brokerage in the UK?

Btw Internaxx and keytrade are both banks. Saxo is the brokerage arm of a bank.
    This thread is slightly old and I felt I should update this bit about Saxo, from Sept 14th, 2018.

In Ocober 2017, shareholders of the Saxo Bank Group ("Saxo”) announced an offer received from Geely Financials Denmark A/S, a subsidiary of Geely Holding Group, to acquire a majority stake in Saxo Bank. At the same time, Sampo, a leading Nordic financial services group, made an offer to acquire a 19.9 percent interest in the Bank.

The closing of the transactions means that TPG Capital, Lars Seier Christensen and SinarMas sell their interests in Saxo Bank amounting to 29.26 percent, 25.71 percent and 9.9 percent respectively. Some minority shareholders have also agreed to sell their shares to Geely Holding Group and Sampo resulting in stakes of 52 percent and 19.9 percent respectively. CEO and Founder Kim Fournais’ share of 25.71 percent of the Bank remains unchanged.

The transaction values Saxo Bank at EUR 1.325 bn.
    For what its worth, Geely also owns my favourite Swedish brand.. Volvo.

https://www.home.saxo/campaigns/pr/2...rman-and-board