Like Tree2Likes

Which Online Trading Platform to use?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Which Online Trading Platform to use?

Hi all,

Just trawled through the threads but couldn't really find my answer. Which online trading platforms are the best to use in Hong Kong? I'm looking to invest mostly in US stocks but also Chinese stocks like Tencent on Hang Seng.

I'm from the UK and use Hargreaves and Lansdown as my platform there, but it won't take payments from HK credit cards, which is a bit of a pain.

I saw Interactive Brokers mentioned once or twice on the threads here. Any more?

Much appreciated.

Original Post Deleted
    Not too frequently. I'm most looking invest around 500 to 800 USD a month and hold for the long term.

I've see Etoro ads appearing on my Facebook newsfeed. Has anyone used them?

Original Post Deleted
    Ah that's annoying. Seems like there's nothing here in Hong Kong to cater to the small time investor, and the market for investment platforms/brokers is a bit of a wild west as well.

Back in the UK, there are a lot of easy to use and to access online platforms for people to tuck away a small amount each month from their salary into investments.

Seems like everything in Hong Kong is geared towards big money.

I've just asked around for some further advice, seems like Standard Chartered have a decent investment platform. I already have a bank account with them as well.

I'm also going through their demo of the platform and its very similar to Hargreaves and Lansdown. Anyone care to offer their opinion or feedback on this? Thanks!

If a UK expat in HK buys UK shares on interactivebrokers.hk would the gains need to be filed with HMRC at self assessment time?

Quote Originally Posted by Wong Jeremy:
    If a UK expat in HK buys UK shares on interactivebrokers.hk would the gains need to be filed with HMRC at self assessment time?
    Good question. sorry, don't have an answer though!

BTW - OP if you are buying US shares from HK please be aware of withholding tax and possible estate duties.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    if you are buying US shares from HK please be aware of withholding tax and possible estate duties.
    Can you explain further for those of us interested in doing such a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Hydraulics:
    Can you explain further for those of us interested in doing such a thing?
    This has been discussed in detail several times already. suggest you do a search. Thanks.
    jrkob likes this.

If UK is unlike US in treating its tax citizens then, hell, no.
    Your income tax liability is in HK

I haven't used it myself, but check out Saxo Bank

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast