Like Tree24Likes

With Hong Kong flats out of reach, young buyers seek home ownership in Thailand, Japan

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

With Hong Kong flats out of reach, young buyers seek home ownership in Thailand, Japan

http://m.scmp.com/property/hong-kong...home-ownership

I have some friends priced out of Hong Kong looking at Hokkaido, a premium market for a growing snow sports market in Asia.

Buy a small studio with cash, use the income towards rent in Hong Kong, enjoy a premium holiday destination on the cheap. Live debt-free and enjoy life.

Last edited by civil_servant; 26-12-2017 at 01:37 PM.
    irisboards and Paxbritannia like this.

I would like to buy a second investment property. HK is out of the picture due to stamp duty and well the high cost here now. I'm actually considering Japan.

Another friend of mine buys coconut farms in the Philippines (wife is Filippina) and uses the income towards his rent. An investment that has long-term growth potential. He's a stay-at-home dad who lives debt-free and enjoys life.

Original Post Deleted
    Then where? Not really keen on Thailand or Malaysia.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Then where? Not really keen on Thailand or Malaysia.
    Depends on what you're hoping to gain.
    jayinhongkong likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Another friend of mine buys coconut farms in the Philippines (wife is Filippina) and uses the income towards his rent. An investment that has long-term growth potential. He's a stay-at-home dad who lives debt-free and enjoys life.
    But this is not viable for the average middle class in Hong Kong. Their simple aspiration is to by a home in their home city but the executive branch puts the needs of property developers it needs before the people it doesn't,
    TheBrit likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    For me, Spain. I speak Spanish well enough to get around entirely in español, prices aren't high and I like the quality of life.
    civil_servant and TheBrit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    But this is not viable for the average middle class in Hong Kong. Their simple aspiration is to by a home in their home city but the executive branch puts the needs of property developers it needs before the people it doesn't,
    Home ownership is not a need. It is not a necessity to live a fulfilling life, nor is it necessary for cities to aim for high home ownership rates in order to provide a good quality of life for its inhabitants. On numerous threads it was already stated that Hong Kong offers plenty of alternative tax-free investments, which can be used to offset increases in living costs.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Home ownership is not a need. It is not a necessity to live a fulfilling life, nor is it necessary for cities to aim for high home ownership rates in order to provide a good quality of life for its inhabitants. On numerous threads it was already stated that Hong Kong offers plenty of alternative tax-free investments, which can be used to offset increases in living costs.
    It is not just about investment but owning your home.

It is not a need but a very strong desire. Having a government that takes the choice away from the majority of the public is not very pleasant.

With an un-elected government mass relocation is possible. Owning your own home gives you social security as well as financial security.
    Last edited by East_coast; 27-12-2017 at 01:19 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast