Like Tree9Likes

blackrock vs vanguard vs IB

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

@freeier - UK and HK have exemptions on stamp duties + Irish domiciled have a reduced WHT on US stocks?

Unfortunately UK listings are not easily accessible to people who use their retail banks in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    I think there are ETF that does not distribute dividends.. i.e. reinvestment. most dividend for ETF are quite minor anyway

as to estate duty, i doubt the US authority will come here to check if you have passed away ?
    Those that reinvest still get affected with WHT, read the terms of the ETFs.

Taxes, everyone is trying to claim them. At the moment the IRS isn't checking, but who knows in the future what they may do.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    @freeier - UK and HK have exemptions on stamp duties + Irish domiciled have a reduced WHT on US stocks?

Unfortunately UK listings are not easily accessible to people who use their retail banks in HK.
    is that the case ? the last i know we always get charge 0.50% for UK listed shares transaction.. hk is 0.1%. does ETF gets exempted stamp duty ?

is that the case ? the last i know we always get charge 0.50% for UK listed shares transaction.. hk is 0.1%. does ETF gets exempted stamp duty ?
    Search the forums, we have done this topic to death.
    shri likes this.

why don't you just buy the US listed ones ? much cheaper in terms of cost, much much much more liquid, very minimal stamp duties to consider (in contrast to HK and UK both has comparable cost stamp duties).
    How can I buy those in HK, other than via Interactive Brokers?

Quote Originally Posted by orel100x:
    How can I buy those in HK, other than via Interactive Brokers?
    Brokerage account at your bank. If you have a HSBC Advance type account, should be easy to setup.

Having said that, highly highly highly recommend you read through some of the threads that pin has started in the last 6 months, which have a lot of discussion about ETFs / Liquidity in HK listed ETFs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Brokerage account at your bank. If you have a HSBC Advance type account, should be easy to setup.

Having said that, highly highly highly recommend you read through some of the threads that pin has started in the last 6 months, which have a lot of discussion about ETFs / Liquidity in HK listed ETFs etc.
    Well, I don't want to buy HK listed ones. I want the US ones

Yes, you can buy US listed shares (and ETFs) through most local banks. HSBC is the cheapest from what I gather.

The US account takes a bit of paper work to setup at HSBC (2-3 forms, including US Inland revenue and some other forms for access to stock quotes etc / multiple signatures) - in my case, my (> 25 year old account) was rejected because signatures did not match... despite us having gone to the bank, signed and had our identities verified by the bank officer.

orel100x likes this.

It seems that TDAmeritrade, a large US discount brokerage has opened up recently. Just USD7 to trade

https://www.tdameritrade.com.hk

orel100x likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by answerer:
    It seems that TDAmeritrade, a large US discount brokerage has opened up recently. Just USD7 to trade

https://www.tdameritrade.com.hk
    Well, I'll definitely check them out. Just from the logo looks to be related to TDBank which I happened to know back from the US...

They do seem to have a license from SFC:

http://www.sfc.hk/publicregWeb/corp/BJO462/details
    Last edited by orel100x; 11-02-2018 at 11:56 AM.