Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree6Likes

Buy gold bullion in HK

Do people buy gold like this to collect or is this meant to be an investment?

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor
    Question: is there any advantage/disadvantage to buying sealed Maple Leafs instead of the regular unsealed ones? Based on quotes provided by LPM and BOCHK, the buy/sell spread seems to be about the same?
    Those are not 'proof' coins - they are regular maple leafs?
    I don't see an advantage - because when you sell them the buyer would probably want to break the seal to inspect them (weigh, measure diameter, thickness).

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle
    Those are not 'proof' coins - they are regular maple leafs?
    I don't see an advantage - because when you sell them the buyer would probably want to break the seal to inspect them (weigh, measure diameter, thickness).
    Just regular maple leaf coins in the original seal from the Canadian Mint. The supposed value add is that they are less likely to be scratched if they are still in the seal. As I said, they sell at a small premium to unsealed coins and BOCHK and LPM quote buy prices also at a small premium to unsealed coins.

If other potential buyers will want to break the seal to inspect then I agree there is no point in paying the premium as you will not get it back on resale.

Quote Originally Posted by jonastainine
    Do people buy gold like this to collect or is this meant to be an investment?
    I suppose a bit of both - they look pretty and have value but gold's track record of generating wealth is pretty poor.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor
    The supposed value add is that they are less likely to be scratched if they are still in the seal.
    You can also buy a separate capsule and put them in - they are very cheap - and it's a good idea, because pure gold scratches very easily.
    I also prefer unscratched - but in terms of value scratched bullion coins should still fetch close to spot.
    Some of the places that buy coins don't re-sell them in that form.In HK I suspect a lot of coins are melted down and resold as Chinese gold - or as jewellery.There are local shops that buy coins, but only a few places like LPM, Kitco and Hang Seng that sell.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3