Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5
Like Tree13Likes

Buy gold bullion in HK

What is your favorite size/type of coin/bar to buy over the counter from Hang Seng?

Quote Originally Posted by freeier
    but these chaps at LPM are just putting together 7 coins (8.5g gold, 5oz silver, plus bits and pieces of others) and asking for HKD 31k. ok, the coins are graded 70 and comes with the signature of the surviving member of Apollo 11 (whoever that is)...
    Sounds like quite a markup - for 31k you can buy ~90g of gold.
    Sad to imagine someone trying to sell the set back - and being quoted below spot.

Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins are both alive I think - from Apollo 11.
    Is it their real signature and not a replica? Wonder what they get out of it.

Lots of people like Apollo - but I would be more tempted to buy a moon watch. At least it has some association with the actual event.

Quote Originally Posted by Elefant&Castle
    Sounds like quite a markup - for 31k you can buy ~90g of gold.
    Sad to imagine someone trying to sell the set back - and being quoted below spot.

Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins are both alive I think - from Apollo 11.
    Is it their real signature and not a replica? Wonder what they get out of it.

Lots of people like Apollo - but I would be more tempted to buy a moon watch. At least it has some association with the actual event.
    of cos. the mark up is crazy.... not sure who took most of the profit.. alot of guys along the line.. the chaps that bought up all the coins, picked the good ones for rating, then have to churn the not-too-good one with the other bullion sellers.. its not an easy process.. just not sure why one would be paying so much..

the mintage of the coins is crazily high as well.. 100k for the 5oz silver that i actually quite like..

https://www.apmex.com/product/185468...-proof-box-coa

i will go stick to collecting my american the beautiful set.. 8-)

tck

With regards to the question of a 1kg gold bar, it seems to be cheaper weight for weight compared to the 1oz coins. If you were looking to squirrel away HKD 330k for a long time, I could see some value in that. Edit: Oh silly me. I forgot it was in Troy oz. Not much value in a kg bar then.

I have never thought of buying gold in my life, but this thread got me curious and I'm considering some. Any advice? I feel like this isn't an investment meant to grow, but maybe as an insurance for a store of value? For these purposes what would you go for. Gold coins? Bars? Fancy watches? Art?

Kowloon Goon likes this.

if you have the money to burn, just get a gold bar and forget about it.. throw it somewhere under the bed ... it will come in handy in due course..

kg bars are efficient as the bid offer at some of the good dealers for kg is really thin..

but that said, kg bars are notoriously easy to fake.. sophisticated fakers can use tungsten and wrap a thin layer of gold around it (not plating, but some real gold around it) and the density will be close enough and regular bankers might not realize..

whatever you buy just try not to buy the ones peddled by LPM... don't think you will see the daylight of value with such high premium paid...

LPM is perfectly fine and has great products some at great prices - chekc out their current 100g PAMP gold bars for example. Just stick to investment grade product (don't buy "proof" or "collectible" products. To quote myself from an earlier post "1 oz and 100g gold bars are very liquid, most liquid are 1oz from one of the major sovereign mint: gold eagle, maple leaf, britannia, philharmoninc, krugerang, gold panda, kangoroo". Stick to those, or if you like bars, choose those from the most reputable refineries e.g. PAMP, Heraeus, Argor Heraeus, Valcambi, Metalor; or "bank branded" bars (produced by those refineries also, but with the Brand Name of a bank on the bar, e.g. Valcambi produces Credit Suisse bars, and Argor-Heraeus/Metalor used to produce UBS branded bars at some time".

I'm not promoting LPM here, and other places are great too e.g. Kitco, or abroad/online e.g. APMEX or Bullionstar in Singapore. Or directly order from the mint eg Royal Mint in the UK.

And just remember gold is not an investment, it's money under another form (one that protects from inflation etc. in the LONG term).

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5