Like Tree29Likes

RIP Bloomberg App - Yahoo v/s Google Sheets for Tracking Portfolios

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

RIP Bloomberg App - Yahoo v/s Google Sheets for Tracking Portfolios

Am I the only one who finds the new app (free thingy) obnoxiously slow??

Takes upwards of a minute when I tap on a stock in my portfolio, to see its detailed view.

Also been getting a ton of network errors and many of the screens don't seem to work as of a couple of days ago.

Does Bloomberg have a 'portfolio' function where you can enter all your buy/sell transactions and then it shows your stocks and how much you are gaining/losing each day. This is exactly what I had with finance.google.com up until 2 days ago when they redesigned the site and took away this portfolio function, so I am looking for something that is free and simple and does exactly this. I was looking at tradingview.com yesterday which looks brilliant but I can't for the life of me figure out how to use it and I can't find this simple portfolio function.

i am sure if you subscribe to the standard or professional edition by paying USD 2k per month, you won't experience the sluggishness... 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Does Bloomberg have a 'portfolio' function where you can enter all your buy/sell transactions and then it shows your stocks and how much you are gaining/losing each day.
    Yes it does. Quite useful for a random check.

It allows you to enter your transactions fairly easily (but slow as fuck with the new app).

jrkob lives on the Yahoo Finance tracker, I used to use Google Finance as it had the best integration with sheets and it still does. The portfolio function is broken / removed / dumped - horrible move by Google... the new site is practically unusable for quick overviews.

You're an IT guy right .. setup a google spreadsheet and use the GoogleFinance function to track.

Here are some functions I use ..

Current Price:
    =GOOGLEFINANCE(B3)
    Number of shares owned (if you enter a line item every time you bought)

=SUMIF($B$14:$B$100,"=Buy", $C$14:$C$100)
    Average cost of shares:

=SUMIF($B$14:$B$99,"=Buy", $E$14:$E$99)/B5
    On a summary spreadsheet I have some classifications like global etf/2800 etc ..

=SUMIF($I21:I,"HK2800",F21:F)
    There are some really good examples available, but they're too complicated for my use.
    bdw and Elefant&Castle like this.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    i am sure if you subscribe to the standard or professional edition by paying USD 2k per month, you won't experience the sluggishness... 8-)
    Moh cheen ah!

Original Post Deleted
    Thought the new design was about 2-3 months old. Initially thought it was my phone or some addons, but reset the phone on Friday and still sluggish as hell ...

Original Post Deleted
    - this is why I gave up on Y!F.

Screenshot taken a few mins ago. Really not sure if I'm looking at the correct Yahoo Finance site (went to finance.yahoo.com.

Can you do me a favor and post your screenshot of 2800? I know it worked at some point, as I was able to download historical data...

I suspect something to do with the USD currency, which I'm unable to change.

Attachment 73954

Ok, obviously I have a setting somewhere - either USD base currency or something else which is preventing me from viewing the data in chrome.

Thanks guys. I do have all my trades in a separate offline spreasdsheet, I might try those excel formulas and see if I can build something just to my liking . Yahoo is possible too but was trying to avoid that, switching from google to yahoo just sounds wrong

@bdw - FYI - those formula are for google sheets, not excel.

bdw likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast