Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JAherbert

how to convert industrial loft into art studios ?

Closed Thread

how to convert industrial loft into art studios ?

anyone experienced in this ?
    I am trying to figure out the cost involvement and the difference in utility bills ?
    How about installation of shower and partition.

What part of town? Wong Chuk Hang?

Yes Wong Chuk Hang. Maybe there are already completed ones ?

The shower thing would depend on the building. Some of the units have built in toilets. In our building, the toilets are common (licensed as "Industrial Office") and there is no way in hell you'd get permission to install your own in your unit.

Do you have a estate agent? I've found Gilbert at Chief-full and Nelson at Splendor Props to be quite knowledgable and helpful if you really know what you're looking for and give them a good brief.

Can you change industrial space to retail space and not pay a huge land premium?

I assume you want to sell artwork from the location.

As for the shower / toilet use a macerating pump

About US - Up Wing Holdings Ltd.

units in older industrial buildings already have wet room inside the unit, with WC, floor drain, and basin, if the water pressure is ok adding a shower depends on the type of electricity supply single phase or three phase for the water heater. stud partitions walls (with metal studs and plasterboard) technically requires government approval, just like those mini storage spaces dividing up rooms means you should not blocking fire escape, provide fire escape signage, emergency lighting, fire extinguishers, etc.

shri likes this.

I assume you've checked out spaces like The Factory in Yip Fat Street, Wong Chuk Hang to get a sense for the competition and what's needed to be a draw?

Can you change industrial space to retail space and not pay a huge land premium?
    You do need to dedicate a certain amount of your space for "warehouse purposes" to satisfy the industrial requirement. Or apply for a license conversion for your unit (which is expensive).

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Many industrial buildings have "retail" on the ground floor street level without converting the whole building, but might require planning permission, OP needs to check.

wow thanks for replies guy. This is just research at the moment but I been wondering if its feasible and sustainable to do these. Keep the comments and notes coming in . Thank you !!