Like Tree41Likes

Invest in property or stocks?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

He should really be worried if he is investing in cows that need GPS trackers and go for random inter-neighbourhood walks.

Rule #982 in Shri's Rule Book - Do not invest in live animals that need GPS trackers. Also, do not invest in dead animals that need GPS trackers.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    A local mate of mine is investing in cows in China now. He’s a techie and has his soldering iron out building DIY GPS trackers to implant into his assets so he can track them in real time from HK.

The same guy has 5 parking spots in HK so maybe he’s onto something. Time to start researching cows in China
    I read that the highspeed train is getting heavily into freight. Thus it allows farmers to directly send their goods to customers far away. Farm to table is going to take off in a big way especially in a country where food safety is lacking. Farmers also stream videos directly from their farm thus giving people confidence in their produce. Could you imagine you grow some giant pumpkin and people can start bidding before the harvest? Very lucrative for farmers.

Quote Originally Posted by cathy789:
    For a rookie like myself, have inherited a chunk of money from my dead aunt and uncle who had no children of their own, i have spent a bit on property but have no idea about stocks but would love to join in some way or another, any advice on hiring a financial investor to do the work for me? I understand he/she will take a slice of the pie (1%-3% it seems to vary quite a bit depending on the company)
    Your first step would be educate yourself on the topic. This enables you to ask the right questions when you do meet a financial advisor afterwards. And enables you to recognize when you are being robbed by said financial advisor.
    gigglinggal likes this.

Agree. Well said. Myself, I have had luck with real estate. That’s been my best avenue. For me.

if you intend to stay in HK a long time, go for property ownership first.

after that - you can make a decision on property vs stocks etc

shri likes this.

If history is any indicator, it's a "no-brainer". Property markets fluctuate, naturally, as they trend upwards. The stock market is near all time highs with interest rates and oil on the rise, setting the table for a correction in line with financial cycles. Property will cool off heading into next year, so it's all about timing. Short term, oil stocks will rise.

My advice is to diversify by strategically placing 4 x 25% of you theoretical $10M into each one of my 4 no-risk/no-return equity funds.

It depends what this 10m represents of your total profile. If this represents over 80% of your net worth, I'd advise against HK property. Property exposure isn't inherently bad, but being so "all-in" is ill advised. If this is all you have, I'd advise some amount of property exposure through some sort of exchange traded REIT, maybe Link REIT, but I'm personally pretty bearish on HK property. The remaining proportion I would go for an Equity / Fixed Income split depending on your stage of life.

Now. It's a little bad for all those asset classes. Valuations are high for equities, interest rates are rising hurting fixed income, one might be tempted to wait out a correction before going in, but I kind of live by "time in the market beats timing the market"; if you invested in the SP500 October of 2007, the peak pre great financial crisis, and held it to today, you would still be up almost 100%.

I think there was a study saying 2/3rds of the time, investing all of it at once is the correct thing to do vs maybe 25% every quarter. That being said, this is psychologically a lot harder to do.

You'll be seeing daily P/L's much higher than you're used to seeing and that could tempt you to do some impulsive trading.

Happy Guy likes this.

For cash/ even shorter term investment/speculative play, invest in USD assets as Interest rates there rising. Lets make America Great again! (GBP only 1% interest rate vs US....USD will strengthen) America will beat China in trade war!

Saw this randomly. Might be a good one to look at and start some learning.

https://schwabtoday.com/schwab/HK_Br...K_special.php#